Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially over. 2018's runs June 1st-Nov 30th, 2018.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 200 (Nate) , Major: 217 (Maria) Florida - Any: 227 (Irma) Major: 227 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2003 News Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Morning All
      #13153 - Thu Sep 18 2003 07:53 AM

Wxman Richie: Yeah, I know. I guess I'll have to do the prep work I didn't do last night...and should have. Thought I might get lucky with only 45-50 MPH winds...now it looks a tad higher. Of course, had I put all my furniture away, etc., then the storm WOULDN'T come. It's like bringing an umbrella when the forecast calls for rain. Bring it and it won't fall, but forget it and...downpour.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Isabel ... interesting sat presentation
      #13154 - Thu Sep 18 2003 08:35 AM

the weather seems to spin a bit wildly lopsided..now all the weather is on the south side.. imagine that will swing around fast and hit later

hope all of you enjoy watching from where ever you are be it there or watching TWC...

looks like a big bad rain storm if you ask me.. BIG, not strong but BIG.. imagine a lot of locales up and down the coast far from landfall will have nasty weather and locally strong storms so that even if the storm isnt that strong at landfall it will provide a challenget for clean up and fixing power lines because of the large geographic area impacted..

waiting to see bastardi's next storm blow up down in carib or wherever he predicted.. buy the man a turban and with all those muscles he would look like Mr. Clean

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

PS..someone tell Kristen Dodd that she's wrong
      #13155 - Thu Sep 18 2003 08:42 AM

She was standing out there in the surf acting like it was still a Cat 5 Storm and I imagine she hasn't been able to check sats or radar... she said ALL of the really bad weather was going to be on the NE side and at the moment.. its not..though I did hear pressure gradients to the NE of the storm were strong.

Not sure what she was talking about but sure she was glad to be out in her element on Virginia Beach

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/03_ATL_13L.ISABEL_ssmi_ir1km_thumb.html

--------------------

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
yakkkk
      #13156 - Thu Sep 18 2003 08:48 AM

well, i'm sick. not planning on either class or work today, so it seems i've found this loophole to prevent missing the landfall. of course i'd trade it for school/work if i could.. if that were possible.
starting to look more like a hyde/dare system than closer to the mainland.. therefore, might be a heavier hit up near elizabeth city and norolk later today.
that's all i've got for observations, besides, did i mention i feel like $#!+?
HF 1249z18september

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
Re: yakkkk
      #13157 - Thu Sep 18 2003 08:49 AM

norolk=norfolk

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: yakkkk
      #13158 - Thu Sep 18 2003 09:00 AM

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well HF. Well, finished what little preps I going to do, at least as of this moment. Picked all the ripe & semi-ripe tomatoes, staked them up a bit better. Closed all umbrellas..yada yada. If conditions warrant later, I'll bring in all the potted plants, take down my American flag, remove the umbrellas and furniture...you all know the drill.

One thing I always notice...animals. No squerrils running about and birds are quiet. Even my dog doesn't want to go for a walk. Amazing how they can sense these things.

Conditions: cloudy with some light breezes. Nothing to indicate anything approaching TS conditions. BTW, in case anyone missed Wxman's comment, my area is under a TS warning for tonight & tomorrow. No big deal, I hope. After work, gonna drive down to the beach and check the waves. Supposed to be 15+ feet. Cool!

Talk to you later.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Feel better Hank and Challenge to Bastardi
      #13159 - Thu Sep 18 2003 09:12 AM

Feel better...got two kids up in Tallahassee both sick.. you been partying with them?? Oddly feel sick down here too, not sure with what just really off today.. may go home early and watch TWC in bed.. wierd vibes today everywhere it seems.

But do feel better please and post when you can.

As for BASTARDI.. dont care how busy the man is at his world headquarters..know him enough to know he is obsessive about weather and what everyone says about it and probably reads more than one message board.. and why not ours.. it is afterall the best.

So... STOP THE TEASING and if you see a tropical threat from the Atlantic or Carib next week... spill the beans, grind the coffee and tell us... stop the teasing.. either you see it or you don't. If you do... enough of us out here while watching Isabel make landfall would like something to look forward to tracking...other than damage reports.

Bobbi...waiting

--------------------

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

According to Accuweather...strongest wind speed this hour
      #13160 - Thu Sep 18 2003 09:24 AM

for VA was 36 knots, just south of the border inland NC had 40 and then down near Wilmington 35knots..

Watching the winds.. daughter in Philly said watching crew on TWC it looked like when we went to the beach while Floyd was passing offshore down here and we were getting sandblasted at the beach.. good comparison

Waiting to see how strong it gets..

Aren't we lucky to be able to track like this with all the data available to us.. really have to stop for a minute and appreciate how much data the average joe has access to LIVE.. truly amazing..

see you all later
bobbi

--------------------

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA 30.00N 90.14W
Re: According to Accuweather...strongest wind speed this hour
      #13163 - Thu Sep 18 2003 10:20 AM

Hadn't taken a peak at Bastardi today, but I'll post if there's anything worth noting. Looks by IR like the more NW motion has commenced. Radar appears to show a very slow North'ish' movement.

Speaking of the Prime Rib - and I missed Domino's 'Pizza' forecast (unless that was the Morehead City call) - give it up for ME from last Tuesday or Wednesday with the NC/SC call south of the Outer Banks (hold the applause . That wasn't too far off in the grand scheme of things. I was a victim of my own forecast which was based on Maeli. The crawl and stall early game was just too slow to get it far enough west to come inland further a hundred or so miles further south. But if anyone doubts this teleconnection was a BINGO...

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA 30.00N 90.14W
Re: According to Accuweather...strongest wind speed this hour
      #13165 - Thu Sep 18 2003 11:09 AM

Not much from Joe B this morning in the column or the Tropical Update. He was focusing in on his landfall intensity forecast and the update thereof. His concern for the 'end-game' of the season remains Florida which he ramped WAY UP in his August update.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 29429

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center