Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 43 (Nate) , Major: 60 (Maria) Florida - Any: 70 (Irma) Major: 70 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2003 News Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA 30.00N 90.14W
Re: 90L, again
      #13439 - Sun Sep 28 2003 10:08 PM

From Saints (!) Report dat cam (if you're in buffalo):

Things are picking up. The wind is strengthening and it's raining pretty hard. Apparently the nasty part of the storm is about an hour away. As far as missing the game goes, losing power might be an attractive alternative to what I'm seeing so far!!!

Halifax Radar

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Sep 28 2003 10:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL 30.22N 85.86W
Re: Motion of 90L
      #13440 - Sun Sep 28 2003 10:29 PM

Ed said it...all over the place! I can't find a good global to plot. I think Mary is speaking of LBAR that comes south of Aplach. Morning will bring more info. Who do you think has it made on this board? Hands down.... HankFrank! Enjoy my man...enjoy!

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Motion of 90L
      #13441 - Sun Sep 28 2003 11:08 PM

Just a late update. At 0230Z the center of Invest 90L was at 19.8N 86.7W and, for the moment, the system is stationary with small areas of convection building toward the center.

Link for Halifax, Nova Scotia

Halifax International Airport

Cheers,
ED

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Sep 28 2003 11:19 PM)

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
Re: Motion of 90L etc
      #13442 - Sun Sep 28 2003 11:19 PM

i don't know what to make of it. looks like it's drifting north, for what it's worth. unless it runs much further north or sits still of the yucatan.. such a feature moving slowly over water under those atmospheric conditions should be a go.
of course, the bay of campeche has some interesting convection going as well. there ought to be a system out of this, but still far too diffuse to make any solid predictions.
juan landfalling near halifax, kate losing ground to shear. bastardi's culprit wave for the week following the upcoming one is low in latitude and looking nifty near 45w.
HF 0318z29september

HanKFranK
User

#13443 - Sun Sep 28 2003 11:19 PM

system out of this.. that is.. source region. has a lot going for it.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Motion of 90L and Juan
      #13444 - Mon Sep 29 2003 12:01 AM

Thanks Ed

Just wanted to add that its really amazing how Juan retained the look of a tropical cyclone..a real hurricane for so long up north...at such a high lat.. rarely do you see a system look so tropical...so much a hurricane when at same lat as Long Island.

And.............as for the Carib...well has anyone waited so long for anything to happen or anything to appear?

Just wondering..Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

HanKFranK
User

Re: Motion of 90L and Juan
      #13445 - Mon Sep 29 2003 01:32 AM

huh? juan's look isn't that rare at that latitude. sometimes they go by newfoundland still looking tropical. alberto about three years ago was a good example of that.. it still looked tropical at 50N.
90L seems to be drifting nnw.. or at least an mlc is. surface obs are hard to interpret, they suggest a low at any given time, but a very confused one. whatever is there seems to be near cozumel now. or something. movement is slow, very slow. just like the evolution.
HF 0532z29september

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl 27.50N 80.10E
      #13446 - Mon Sep 29 2003 08:24 AM

90L still not wanting to do much. It seems to have drifted a bit north overnite and looks to have a weak center pretty much over cozumel. Pressure at 1006 there and winds ESE. Maybe the proximaty to land is slowing development.

A lot of rain coming up from the tropics into Florida and here on the Treasure Coast we have a flood watch.

The area in Bay of Campeche looks better this morning. I wonder if it is helping to keep 90L from spinning up.

Hurric

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA 27.37N 80.24W
      #13447 - Mon Sep 29 2003 08:34 AM

There is no spin with 90L that I can observe; just a large blotch on the satellite image.

--------------------
________2017 Forecast: 12/6/3________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Mary K.
Weather Guru

#13448 - Mon Sep 29 2003 08:47 AM

We are getting on of those slow drenching rains here in Central Florida that are reminiscent of those warm lows that hang around for days and days. There does not appear to be a speck of breeze with the rain here in the center of Florida Peninsula. HF thanks for the correction on the model. I tend to not do too well without my glasses on. Who ever heard of wearing glasses while you read???

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Will something form?
      #13449 - Mon Sep 29 2003 09:43 AM

Not sure... I think so.

Think its more likely than not for something to form a closed center at some point down the road.

There seems to be an area hovering on the coast around Cozumel that continues to spin and blow up intense convection. Looks stronger on all loops now than it did the last few days.

The area is broad and I can't decide whether upper level winds are stopping it from congealing or if there are two areas within the broad area of low pressure that inhibit the other from exploding.

But, exploding it might do..down the line.

I'm not into the shear charts and SOI sio star war form of meterology that some of you more professional types are into.. more detailed oriented than me ... it all distracts me from my basic love of just watching the darn thing loop.

Enjoy reading your thoughts and will see what happens but right now going with climo and tenacity and synoptics and think its more than a 50/50 chance that something will form some sort of low. Note pressures in Cozumel are low though don't see any strong winds. Imagine a system like this could be very "Irene-like" in that flooding rains could be far east of the actual low pressure center that develops.

Par for the tropical course in the month of October and we are almost in October.

Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Mary K.
Weather Guru

Re: Will something form?
      #13450 - Mon Sep 29 2003 10:04 AM

The weather and atmosphere here is getting darker and heavier at 10:00 Am EDT. I have a lot of critters here such as 4 cats, 2 squirrels, 4 birds, and two tanks of fish. All of them are in their something is gonna happen mode. I wish they could tell me what they think. But, weatherwise, It is spooky.

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

HanKFranK
User

Re: Will something form?
      #13451 - Mon Sep 29 2003 10:42 AM

hard to pick a center out from SFC obs other than to say the lowest reported pressure has been near cozumel.. but those obs are only updating intermittently. upper ridging has been suppressed to the north by some impressive shear over the gulf... SFC N/NE winds have dived down into the bay of campeche/central gulf in a frontal wake (with all the upper energy shifting east with the leading shortwave).
the low near cozumel is in a naturally comfy place.. or at least should be if neither the NE flow or tropical flow from the east infringe on its weak circulation. otherwise this bottleneck should act to tighten it.
the convective pattern is lopsided NE and bursting convection near the assumed center.. over land. over water it would be a shoe-in.. over land and nudging the periphery of the upper support its slightly questionable.. but there should still be a system forming down there, in spite of models failing to register much.
kate still moving NE, banding-type eyespot flashing as it did yesterday. really way the hell out in the middle of nowhere. juan gone, the subtropical low behind it gone, both to canada.
bay of campeche system looking less defined than yesterday afternoon.. probably nothing at the surface, just a mid level disturbance.
HF 1442z29september

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Reply TO HF
      #13452 - Mon Sep 29 2003 11:39 AM

I suggest we get the 20 year old met student to assist us in finding that LLC.Let her know its a little rainy today in sofla but I would be happy to study the maps with her.

jlauderdal

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA 30.00N 90.14W
Re: Reply TO HF
      #13453 - Mon Sep 29 2003 12:14 PM

LOL jl (and hang onto that action HF).
---------------------------------------------------
I watched JB's tropical update this morning and I'll give you what I got from the discussion. He sees a center somewhere between Cancun and Cozumel. He disagrees with almost all the models. UKMET/GFS rush it off into Mexico. The European moves it north to the UT coast. His problem wtih the European is that he believes the high over the western caribbean will pulse west then back east and there won't be a mechanism for 90L to keep moving west. He likes the idea of something in the south central Gulf vs. something near Mexico/Texas. They he offered divergent forecast problems and just said that this is a situation that the Gulf Coast should be on alert for. He hasn't come out and said "major hurricane threat" but you can see that he's leaning that way utilizing the assumption that it doesn't just head off into Mexico. He thinks it sits in the BOC/Southern Gulf for 4 or 5 days south of the NE flow and cranks. He drew a parallel to Opal but hasn't suggested this will be an Opal. Of note, his hurricane intensity/landfall forecast still needs a hit in the Al/MS and SFL zones to score a coup de'grace for him.
----------------------------------------------------
My take now makes sense to me. Much of the energy will in fact be moving in on FL south of Tampa. It's just that the system as a whole will not be.
-------------------------------------------------
For the SIO SOI Star Wars crew, the SOI remains negative for the 11th day. Flattening/zonal flow should follow the 15 day lag period begun 9/19/03. That means amplification should be more or less busted by Sunday or Monday with the set of tropical problems that goes along with it.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

HanKFranK
User

#13454 - Mon Sep 29 2003 12:56 PM

heh... not my action man. don't believe in cutting in on anyone. do unto others as.. ya know. i'm not exactly hurting for options, as college campuses these days have that higher ratio of females. fine by me guys, go to tech school, leave me here in the castle anthrax.
think that whatever low pressure is near cozumel will probably jump the yucatan over into the lower BOC. just like the NHC official yesterday evening.. think it will refocus over there. just needs a big spot of convection to get it happening over that way. the upper high 'shelter' seems to be shifting over that way, and though there may be a max on the low near cancun, it's still a broad area of turning that can skip its focal point around as needed.
of course this is a very complex problem.. there are plenty of potential outcomes. one that needs not be forgotten is that it could never get organized.. but i don't think that will be the case this time around.
dang, better get to work.
HF 1656z29september

HanKFranK
User

#13455 - Mon Sep 29 2003 12:58 PM

ack. reread my post.. sounds like.. bueller, bueller. i need coffee, or just sleep at night.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Juan: Gone; Kate: Loopy; Hello Larry?
      #13462 - Mon Sep 29 2003 04:48 PM

Well, Juan is finally gone, having done some damage to Halifax; Kate is forecasted to begin a loop-de-loop and could be hanging around for some time; 90L will be investigated tomorrow...right now, two models are showing west coast strikes: LBAR just south of Panama City & BAMD between Sarasota & Tampa/St. Pete...will need to be watched.

http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/90LTRP.html

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30978

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center