F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Pete Creedon
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Nantucket MA.
Latest Nor'easter.
      #35746 - Wed May 18 2005 09:22 PM

I think that LOW we just went through had some tropical characteristics to it. I was born from Trpoical Origin right?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Latest Nor'easter. [Re: Pete Creedon]
      #35747 - Wed May 18 2005 09:24 PM

Evening all, a bit of action early in the year, at least conversation. Off topic a bit, I can not find my link for the FSU models, could someone send, thank you !!!

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Latest Nor'easter. [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #35750 - Wed May 18 2005 09:58 PM

FSU models are only available to FSU students!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #35756 - Wed May 18 2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

I think that LOW we just went through had some tropical characteristics to it. I was born from Trpoical Origin right?

you were born from tropical origin?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pete Creedon
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Nantucket MA.
Re: Latest Nor'easter. [Re: LI Phil]
      #35758 - Wed May 18 2005 11:48 PM

I mean IT! not me!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #35789 - Thu May 19 2005 09:41 PM

we had a detailed disco on this a while back. Just to reiterate what I said, I redirect you to this thread.

http://www5.wright-weather.com/bb/showth...mp;pagenumber=1

It may be a lengthy read, but it's a well worth one.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #35809 - Fri May 20 2005 06:12 PM

The FSU Superensemble is restricted to the NHC & other selected groups. The fee to access it is not a small one.

The lows going up the Gulf Stream are not warm-core systems. Just because a low may form over warm SSTs does not mean that it is warm-core; the temperature structure of the storm through the atmosphere, the energetics in play, and the vertical profile of winds all either play a role in determining the storm structure or are markers of the structure.

The Cyclone Phase Space diagrams (http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/) take into account storm-symmetry (as measured in the thickness & height fields) and the vertical profile of winds/wind shear to determine cyclone type, as these factors (primarily the wind profile) include information about the other aspects inherently. Without going into too much detail, a warm core system is going to see its strongest winds at low levels & decreasing with height, while a cold-core system will see the opposite. The CPS mentioned above measures this through thermal wind, or the vertical shear/change in the wind with height, making it an effective measure of classifying storm structure.

Warm-core systems generally develop through latent heat release/transport within the central core, while cold-core systems generally develop in response to strong jet dynamics (e.g. shear) or in the presence of large baroclinicity (e.g. temperature gradients). This latter fact helps explain how many cyclones "bomb" off of the coast of the U.S.: the cold air behind the system & the warm waters of the Gulf stream provide a very strong temperature gradient & ample baroclinicity for such a cold-core cyclone to develop. Hybrid storms lie somewhere between the cold & warm core designations and may incorporate parts of both storm structures/development mechanisms to any number of varying degrees.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5584

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center