F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 234 (Idalia) , Major: 234 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 234 (Idalia) Major: 234 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re:5 AM Advisory [Re: James88]
      #37019 - Sat Jun 11 2005 05:42 AM

We've got a little bit of a quandry on our hands this morning. The convective trends of last night continued into the early morning hours -- oh, about 3a ET -- but what that did allow was for the center to move into the midst of what convection remained. Now, nearing the diurnal convective maximum and the warmest waters in the Gulf, Arlene is making a fairly nice recovery, with a CDO-pulse feature near and over the center of circulation. Recon pressure is 991mb and the overall intensity of the storm is essentially the same as its peak intensity from yesterday -- pressure only up 2mb and 850mb height only up 10 meters from 1349m to 1359m (850mb height gives you an indication of the intensity of the storm: the lower the 850mb height, the deeper the storm). Danny, I will have to disagree with you on the recon/intensity question...one of the biggest reasons we have recon is because those wind/height relationships and satellite estimates don't always work very well.

Nevertheless, shear isn't increasing all that much and there appears to be convective support around much of the storm. As called for last night, Arlene has the potential to become a hurricane before landfall, aided by the new convection and very warm SSTs over its path. Landfall is imminent within the next 12hr at or perhaps just slightly above its current intensity -- though as with many tropical cyclones, the strongest winds will ONLY be felt offshore, at the immediate coast, and in downbursts associated with heavy rain inland -- somewhere in the Mobile, AL area.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Affects In Central Florida [Re: Clark]
      #37020 - Sat Jun 11 2005 06:14 AM

I awoke at 5am this morning to pounding rain and very gusty winds. Those who know me from last season may remember that I live about 20 miles North of Orlando in Central FL. That "tail" of convection that some were talking about in last night's posts has worked its way right over my area. I stepped outside this morning to a scene eerily reminiscent of the storms of last year....albeit on a somewhat smaller scale. We now have tornado watches issued for virtually the entire peninsula, effective at 5am until 5pm EDT this evening. One tornado warning has already been issued at 445am for a doppler-indicated tornado in Brevard County. Regardless of whether Arlene makes the cut and upgrades to a hurricane, this storm has a wide reach of nasty weather.

Just a footnote....should the storm make the upgrade, this would be HURRICANE #1 that impacted Florida so far in the very early days of the 2005 season.... To those who poo-pooed the idea that there was no way that Florida could possibly experience a hurricane season remotely close to last year, I say....watch out. The season is young and we already have one under our belt.

--Lou

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: United States
Re:5 AM Advisory [Re: Clark]
      #37021 - Sat Jun 11 2005 06:21 AM

From what I read at the 5 am discussion from the NWS there appears to be 2 different senarios:
THERE SEEM TO BE TWO POSSIBILITIES FOR THE INTENSITY BEFORE
LANDFALL. THE FIRST IS THAT A NEW CONVECTIVE BURST DEVELOPS DURING
THE UPCOMING DIURNAL MAXIMUM...AND Arlene MAKES ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO
BECOME A HURRICANE. THE INTENSITY FORECAST WILL FOLLOW THIS
POSSIBILITY. HOWEVER...THE SECOND POSSIBILITY IS THAT THE ABUNDANT
DRY AIR SEEN IN WATER VAPOR IMAGERY NEAR Arlene HAS BEEN ENTRAINED
INTO THE STORM AND WILL SUPPRESS CONVECTION DURING THE REMAINING
TIME BEFORE LANDFALL. IF THAT HAPPENS...ARLENE MAY WELL WEAKEN
BEFORE LANDFALL. IT WILL LIKELY TAKE ONE MORE FORECAST CYCLE
BEFORE IT BECOMES CLEAR WHICH POSSIBILITY IS OCCURRING.

THERE IS A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY THAT Arlene WILL NOT BECOME A
HURRICANE. HOWEVER...THE HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE NORTHERN GULF
COAST WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL IT BECOMES CLEAR THAT THIS WILL
NOT HAPPEN.

I guess we just wait and see.

MaryAnn

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
An Eyewall Forming?? [Re: recmod]
      #37022 - Sat Jun 11 2005 06:21 AM

Look at the current long-range radar loop from Northwest Florida:

Radar

You can clearly see the storm's center and what appears to be an eyewall of heavy convective cells forming on the west side of the "eye-like structure". The distance from the radar site makes the south side of the storm look a bit "skinny".

--Lou

wxornot

Re: An Eyewall Forming?? [Re: recmod]
      #37023 - Sat Jun 11 2005 07:25 AM

Good Morning all,
It appears that Arlene is moving a bit more to the West than previously anticipated by most. A definate rain maker for the entire NorthEastern Gulfcoast.

If she does become a hurricane, it looks like it won't be a Florida landfalling hurricane. So, we've dodged another one in the Sunshine State !!

I'll probably be eating a lot of crow sandwiches this season but I think last year was a fluke and it's back to "normal" this year.

On the other hand, should a reapeat of last season take place, I'm prepared.

Orlando, FL
Unregistered

Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: MikeC]
      #37024 - Sat Jun 11 2005 07:33 AM

Not to be the one who doesn't live in the moment, but according to the GFS model, another system is predicted to develope around Jamiaca and move into the bahamas, as it looks right now.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: Orlando, FL]
      #37025 - Sat Jun 11 2005 07:42 AM

You know that even if Florida stays wet all summer long with these little systems just below hurricane strength, that will be much better than one of those we had last year. So maybe the soothsayers can all be correct and they get their numbers but no disasters.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: Orlando, FL]
      #37026 - Sat Jun 11 2005 07:47 AM

hey there orlando can u send me a link of the GFS model for that storm that is possible for development?...thanks

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: An Eyewall Forming?? [Re: wxornot]
      #37027 - Sat Jun 11 2005 07:49 AM

Yes, the area to the east of the Leeward islands is large trof, harboring some upper level related convection. That is often a common spot for trof's to hang out, and really prevents any GOM action, and encourages homegrown trouble. I believe last year Hermine and Gaston formed from decoupled disturbances.

Arlene by the next advisory should become a hurricane. As Clark has said, a burst of convection has appeared in the center, and the system appears to be trying to close it's SW quad. with clouds. Mobile should is getting a taste of Arlene as we speak. A nasty feeder band is plowing through. The center happens to be offshore and appears to be moving more west. As I said last night, I don't this is just going to make one landfall, it's going to scrape the coast.

Clark- It does look like I may win the contest, to make light on this.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: An Eyewall Forming?? [Re: Keith234]
      #37028 - Sat Jun 11 2005 07:52 AM

yes way to go on predicting first named storm..as u can see mine was the 17th...ooooooh so close....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Arlene at 8:00 [Re: Keith234]
      #37029 - Sat Jun 11 2005 08:05 AM

Well...the intermediate advisory is out, and of course, the keep Arlene as a strong TS...

[/ MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 70 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THERE IS STILL POTENTIAL FOR Arlene TO BECOME A HURRICANE BEFORE LANDFALL. [color]

she is clearly visible on radar now, and at times it appears she is tightening up and her convection is wrapping around her center, trying to form a defined eyewall...

it will be a very close call as to whether NHC bumps her up to a cane at 11...while i don't wish this upon those affected, it would win me a bet and make keith234 the "winner" of the "first named hurricane" portion of the 2005 contest...

except for a very small and concentrated area, winds should not really be a problem for most...but this is a huge rainmaker for many, there will be some beach erosion, and of course there is always the possibility of spontaneous tornadoes in Arlene's outer bands

as was noted earlier, some of the models are already hinting at future development off the East Coast, so once Arlene landfalls and spreads her tropical moisture up the east coast, we'll need to keep an eye trained to our east

to all in Arlene's path: be safe and try to stay dry!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Arlene at 8:00 [Re: LI Phil]
      #37030 - Sat Jun 11 2005 08:28 AM

Let's get past this and then we can look down the road...

http://tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Arlene at 8:00 [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #37033 - Sat Jun 11 2005 09:30 AM

I am hopeful all we Floridians get this season are strong TS's impacting our weather. Arlene will be history soon and will go down as a very strong tropical storm. We need to watch out for the next system as this season seems to want to be as memorable as last year; hopefully in the number of named systems and not for the power of these systems.

Cheers all!

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: FlaMommy]
      #37035 - Sat Jun 11 2005 09:47 AM

Here is a link to the latest GFS - 5 days out. A few of the other models also support this. They have it moving north, then NE. Wow, 1.49 inches of rain since midnight here and more to come!

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/06/images/gfs_ten_120l.gif

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: h2ocean]
      #37037 - Sat Jun 11 2005 09:53 AM

2.01 since 8pm last night just south of Mobile

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Arlene Likely to Become a Minimal Hurricane Tonight [Re: HCW]
      #37040 - Sat Jun 11 2005 10:17 AM

There is a new thread next door so move on over

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Loc: Opelika, AL
11/1415Z - Arlene Update [Re: MikeC]
      #37041 - Sat Jun 11 2005 10:20 AM

It appears Arlene is just about out of time and water and just when she finally got her "center" together. Earlier this morning, a burst of convection imminated out of her old "main" center and moved due west and with this burst; the new center took hold and held and is now the only one depicted on satellite; FINALLY! Since I last looked at satellite; she appears to have resumed her 350 degree movmt as she approaches MS-AL border. Minimum cat 1 is still plausible. Does anyone remember the last time NWSFO Birmingham issued an Inland Tropical Storm Warning for it's entire CWA? Unless the criteria changed, last year's edition were simply High Wind Watches and Warnings; not Tropical, except closer to the coast and they were coordinated with NWSFO Mobile-Pensacola. Big area they issued it for and big time inland away from the storm!

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21437

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center