F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
Re: Emily to Landfall Near Cozumel [Re: Margie]
      #43734 - Mon Jul 18 2005 02:43 AM

Check out http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2005/mexico.shtml

Reports from Cozumel.

Well, a few anyway. The authorities seem to have turned off the power themselves and had mandatory evacuations. They seem to have gotten everyone they could off the coastal areas... from what I've read online elsewhere.

'shana

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Check this out [Re: Margie]
      #43735 - Mon Jul 18 2005 02:44 AM

The Cancun radar, which seemed to have died, is up again and you can clearly see the eye half over land, half over water, with the SW eyewall at Tulum.

Looks like a particularly strong band went right over the one town in Cozumel.

(Click on the radar photo at the top of this topic).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
emily beyond the yucatan, 99L [Re: Margie]
      #43736 - Mon Jul 18 2005 02:59 AM

the fairy godmother got emily today, too. like Dennis this storm isn't making landfall at peak intensity, though 135mph is nothing to relax about. storm should probably spin down to a 1/2 by late tomorrow when it slides off into the gulf... and deepen back to a 3 by mid tuesday. it may gain a little latitude as the shortwave slides by to the north on the continent.. models not showing a great deal of this.. then resume wnw course and probably hit extreme ne mexico a couple hours before sunrise on wednesday. may be edging cat 4 intensity by that time again. i don't buy quite the westerly bend NHC is advertising, but don't think it'll get up to texas either.
99L probably didn't survive the upper trough. the southern vortmax from earlier is popping some convection, oddly enough.. but it was the weak one that i didn't expect to survive. essentially no model support for future activity with this feature, but i've still got a shred of remaining concern that the part that made it through can regenerate. stranger things have happened, but this one is probably done.
weak model support for subsequent waves in the east atlantic to spin up. mild suggestion of an extratropical-origin fish spinner in the north atlantic also. after emily is done we may not see another july system, though right now i'd say that chances are slightly higher that something else will perk up before the month is out.
HF 0758z18july

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: emily beyond the yucatan, 99L [Re: HanKFranK]
      #43737 - Mon Jul 18 2005 03:13 AM

Thanks for the update, Hank. And the good word of nothing waiting in the wings...so to speak.

Recon has departed Emily, as of 0637Z, and are on their way home. That was one, long, mission.
They flew their first fix at 2327Z yesterday. Over 6 hours of storm time and they aren't home yet.
I bet they can't stand the "Emily" word. Like the "Dennis" word.
Bunny Rabbit storms this year...they keep going and going.

HURRICANE EMILY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
300 AM EDT MON JUL 18 2005

SATELLITE AND RADAR IMAGES INDICATE THAT THE CENTER OF HURRICANE
EMILY MADE LANDFALL JUST NORTH OF TULUM MEXICO NEAR 0630Z...230 AM
EDT THIS MORNING. THE ESTIMATED INTENSITY AT LANDFALL WAS 135
MPH...CATEGORY FOUR ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. THE NORTHERN
EYEWALL...WHERE THE WORST WEATHER WOULD BE EXPECTED...PASSED
DIRECTLY OVER COZUMEL.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

Edited by danielw (Mon Jul 18 2005 03:18 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: emily beyond the yucatan, 99L [Re: danielw]
      #43738 - Mon Jul 18 2005 03:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the update, Hank. And the good word of nothing waiting in the wings...so to speak.

Recon has departed Emily, as of 0637Z, and are on their way home. That was one, long, mission.
They flew their first fix at 2327Z yesterday. Over 6 hours of storm time and they aren't home yet.
I bet they can't stand the "Emily" word. Like the "Dennis" word.
Bunny Rabbit storms this year...they keep going and going.

I saw on the scheule on NHC website that they were going to be doing that (flying in the storm for hours straight). But I guess NHC doesn't make all the recon data avail on its web site. How do you know all that info. Also if you had access to the data what did the winds in the NE quad look like over the six-hr period?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Data [Re: Margie]
      #43739 - Mon Jul 18 2005 03:49 AM

Superfly saw the peak flight level wind around the same time I did.
6 hours of data is a Lot of data. They transmit anywhere from every 30 seconds to every 60 seconds. So that 's 60-120 lines of data per hour. Something like 7-12 columns per line so it's not something you can look at for very long.
Your eyes get tired and the numbers start running together.

The vortex message carries the summation of the data. With No exception that I can think of.

I imagine the folks at NHC and Hurricane Research Division have real time displays of what the data is representing.

It's just that watching the data on a display for 6 hours would be like watching TV or a movie for 6 hours straight.
I guess it's part of their job, and more interesting to them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10198

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center