F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
zookpr

Reged: Thu
mold damage
      #45843 - Thu Jul 28 2005 05:02 PM

I live in South Florida, so far we have been sparred, but I feel the next 2 months will be very soggy. Last year, my home sufferred some minor water damage that resulted in a lot of mold and strong odors. This year, I want to be ready to get rid of anything that might form in lieu of the heavy rain. Any suggestions on battling mold/odors in my home??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: mold damage [Re: zookpr]
      #45879 - Thu Jul 28 2005 08:55 PM

This has been a huge problem in Highlands County. I know some realtors have been suggesting and lending out air ionizer machines to their clients. Another thing I have heard is they are recommending that people somehow replace the lower halves of their walls. Don't ask me how to manage that, though.

It has really been miserable, everyone I know has had increased sinus problems, asthma, etc. My family has had mystery fevers since about November-no Dr.'s can seem to figure out why, but I bet it is mold toxins.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: mold damage [Re: Heather]
      #45904 - Thu Jul 28 2005 11:33 PM

i have a condo in Stuart, FL and we had to gut the condo becuase of mold, such a pain and o so stinkyy

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: mold damage [Re: Ryan]
      #45940 - Fri Jul 29 2005 04:30 AM

There was a case about Mold Damage on Court TV the other night.
A couple had built a very large mansion in Texas. Duplicated the mansion "Tara" from Gone With the Wind.

Water pipe broke. Wet the floors, walls...a lot.
Peculiar mold began growing. The insurance company dragged it's feet, to say the least.
The Husband now has Alzheimer's Like-sign and symptoms-memory loss.
The baby has Respiratory Problems.
Mom had a brief illness, but recovered.

Family had to leave everything in the house and move on.
House left to the Mold.
Family sued Insurance Company for 6 million dollars.
Jury awarded $32 million dollars.

I'll try to find the link for the story. If a water pipe can creat this much damage I would think that a Storm could do likewise.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=The+Melinda+Ballard+Case+&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/forensicfiles/episodes/138.html
"Breaking the Mold" - The Melinda Ballard Case

A healthy three-year-old boy suddenly develops respiratory and neurological problems, and doctors can't explain why. Then his father begins to exhibit signs of Alzheimer's Disease. His mother becomes ill while traveling in an airplane; fortunately, the passenger seated next to her makes his living by removing toxic mold from buildings. When she tells him about her family's health problems, he suspects their home might be making them sick.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/mold/default.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/mold/mold_dampness_facts.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/mold/stachy.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/mold/moldfacts.htm

***Personal Note: Purchase a N95 respirator mask...at a minimum. Before doing any minor clean up. A better mask, would be any of the Half-Face respirators with filters and pre-filters. Home Improvement and Automotive Paint stores sell these for around $20-$25 dollars.
3M 7500 series, is the model I have used the most.
There are a couple of other brands.
They are well worth the money. One trip to the Doctor or Emergency Room for sinus or respiratory problems will costs well over $25.00. Even with a great Co-Pay Insurance.

Edited by danielw (Fri Jul 29 2005 04:56 AM)

marine4003

Reged: Sat
Loc: myrtle beach SC
Re: mold damage [Re: danielw]
      #45942 - Fri Jul 29 2005 06:46 AM

having been a Contractor for over 25 years, i have done my share of " Mold Remediation" ie: Cleaning the fungus. excessive moisture being the cause.Mold of any sort needs 3 things to grow - dark-warmth-wet. now we cannot always eliminate the dark part but we can do something about the other 2. First the biggest contributing factor WET, proper drainage is the biggest factor- good gutters aren't enough ,you need to be able to get the water away from the house ,using 4" drainage pipes to complement the gutters, keep all foliage off the house and trim trees blocking air movment to exterior. Ventalation, most houses are built to tight,thay need to breath, good soffit -ridge or gable ventalation is important. At least once a year have the roof inspected,small leaks lead to big problems,if ANY visable signs of water are found spray the area with bleach, A nd if water does enter the house in volume,fight with the insurance company if need be for a complete replacment of sheetrock and insulation in the effected area, or it will come back to haunt you.Now, this is just a very basic understanding of what we recommend, but there is a wealth of info on the web about Mold and how to prevent it. But keep in mind that some types can kill you: Black Mold, and will cause severe health problems. Good Luck to all this windy season..

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: mold damage [Re: marine4003]
      #45951 - Fri Jul 29 2005 08:42 AM

This site will explain everything you need to know about mold and your enviroment and how it could affect your health....Definetly an eyeopener...Weatherchef...... web page

zookpr

Reged: Thu
Re: mold damage [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #46285 - Tue Aug 02 2005 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the input! I looked into the subject a bit and found some articles about a light bulb that kills mold and bacteria, it's called Ozonelite. Has anyone ever heard of it?? I think I might order it.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: mold damage [Re: zookpr]
      #64657 - Fri Mar 03 2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

I looked into the subject a bit and found some articles about a light bulb that kills mold and bacteria, it's called Ozonelite. Has anyone ever heard of it??

Supposedly this light of which you speak detects mold.
Nothing kills mold.
Mold must be physically removed.
Having endured hurricanes Frances and Jeanne within 3 week's then the overwhelming aftermaths in my area on the ocean, I discovered spraying full strength hydrogen peroxide on to the suspected area enables the mold to disipate...even applying it to walls, furniture, carpeting, baseboards, drywall, etc...any areas I suspect might have been infected.
(Of course complete renovation is the best course of action.)
I have cleaned well over 75 crawl spaces under homes filled with mold and literally swept the mold in to a plastic bucket; secured it in tightly closed plastic bags then discarded it immediately.
I have been cleaning hurricane debris going on 1-1/2 years now attempting to bring homes to a safer environment; and it never ceases to amaze me how residents are becoming ill with a "mysterious" cough and other like symptoms. A few of my clients have passed away in a matter of months.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7402

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center