Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center : Hurricanes Without the Hype since 1995

Tropical Storm Ana Moving Away From Main Hawaiian Islands. Watching Invest 93L in Southern Gulf of Mexico.
Number of days since last Hurricane Landfall in US: 108 (Arthur) , in Florida: 3283 (8 y 11 m) (Wilma)
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2006 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Still Quiet
      #74123 - Sun Nov 05 2006 09:13 AM

Update 11/24/06.... Invest 95L is up but I would not expect much to come of it due to its proximity to land, however the TAFB has the area highlighted and the TWO states possible slow development.
Coop

The tropical Atlantic basin is tranquil and expected to stay that way until next year. Wind shear has moved into the northern Caribbean Sea and sea surface temperatures are beginning to cool. El Nino is active in the equatorial Pacific and should remain active for at least six more months.

The 2006 season turned out to be rather quite with a basin dominated by almost relentless wind shear and the 2007 season may turn out to be just as quiet if the strong El Nino persists. Enjoy the off-season.
Cheers,
ED

West Caribbean Wave (95L)

Animated Model Plot
Skeetobite Aimated Model Plot
SFWMD Model Plot
Visible Satellite Floater
IR
Animated Floater with overlays
More Satellite Images of system
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot

Edited by MikeC (Sat Nov 25 2006 07:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City Beach, FL 30.22N 85.86W
Re: Still Quiet [Re: allan]
      #74132 - Mon Nov 06 2006 05:31 PM

Test Post...

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2012 11/5/2

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Still Quiet [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #74135 - Tue Nov 07 2006 08:41 PM

Does anyone have any good links to read up on El Nino.. I am wondering why people say, "if it persists". I would like to learn a little more about that as well as La Nina and the effect they have on hurricane season:-)
Thanks so much eveyone for all of your help this year! You all are GREAT!! It was really nice to have a quiet season, we really needed it this year.
Thanks in advance,
Christine

Edited by sara33 (Tue Nov 07 2006 08:48 PM)

dem05
User

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: Still Quiet [Re: sara33]
      #74136 - Tue Nov 07 2006 10:40 PM

Saw your post and you know me...had to get some links to ya! These 2 sites are the "Hub of Information" for sure!

Effects of El Nino in Florida (This El Nino thing can have negative winter/spring effects in FL...Particularly in Central Florida): http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/PDFs/CIEM_EL_NINO.pdf
Official NOAA El Nino Website: http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/

Edited by dem05 (Tue Nov 07 2006 10:41 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Still Quiet [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #74137 - Thu Nov 09 2006 06:11 AM

Coop, it still works.

Sara, dem05 beat me to your answer. Looks like he has a better local link than I could have provided.
http://www.ncep.noaa.gov has lots of reading. Check the Climate Prediction Center's website.

NWS is forecasting near or record high temperatures in the Central Gulf Coast area today. At least we don't have to worry about a Tropical System dropping by to add humidity to the warmth. November at it's finest!

Enjoy!

Cat 5orBust
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
      #74145 - Sun Nov 12 2006 05:02 PM

a couple of the models continue to want to pop up something in the caribbean. i dont know what they are picking up on. anyone have some insight on what the model runs are seeing? the latest CMC run really develops it. http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cg...;hour=Animation

Hurricane29
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Miami Florida 25.77N 80.25W
Re: Still Quiet [Re: Cat 5orBust]
      #74146 - Sun Nov 12 2006 06:44 PM

The overall consensus seems to indicate tropical cyclone formation is a possibility in the western caribbean.Right now the CMC is the most aggressive bringing it to minimal hurricane strength.Overall SST'S still are plenty warm down there to sustain a moderate hurricane and with so much model aggrement in my opinion its worth keeping a close eye on the situation.

Storm Cooper

Re: Still Quiet [Re: Hurricane29]
      #74147 - Sun Nov 12 2006 07:20 PM

It is possible to see some tropical development this late but some model support is about all that is there. The TPC shows a tropical wave in the general area in 72 hours but ( Lounge Stuff).... I think we are done till next season still.

--------------------

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #74148 - Mon Nov 13 2006 09:16 AM

Unless there is a mistake, that storm winding up off the east coast is doing a good job at imitating a weak hurricane. I think we saw the few storms this past season that were no more defined than that looks on early morning visible shots.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

cieldumort

Loc: Texas 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Still Quiet [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #74150 - Mon Nov 13 2006 03:44 PM

Deeply-stacked Low pressure, and perhaps it looks a little subtropical - has something resembling banding, but these "bands" are really just several fronts and trofs - not really banding. There is very little in the way of deep convection (if any), winds speeds aren't anything to write home about, and it's still really married to several fronts. It has a very long way to go if it's going to become anything tropical, IMHO.

cieldumort

Re: Still Quiet [Re: Hurricane29]
      #74164 - Mon Nov 20 2006 12:07 PM

It appears that there is something in the Caribbean perhaps worth their time to slap an Invest tag on, afterall. This morning's RGB loop (time sensitive) does suggest some subtle cyclonic turning, but it does not yet appear to be rooted at the surface. Additionally, pressures are not falling. In fact, if anything, they may be a tad higher now that a weak wave has pushed through, and is washing out over land. Shear is fairly high in the area, and increases to painfully high just a jog to the north of this possible Invest area. Perhaps if shear overhead slackens a little bit more there may be some slim window of opportunity to congeal into something significant at the surface, but as it is, it looks to me that shear is still a little bit too high.

Floater 1 is up over this.

From the mid-day TWD:
"THE CARIBBEAN SEA....
UNSETTLED WEATHER IS ASSOCIATED
WITH A SFC TROUGH WHICH EXTENDS FROM THE ATLC ACROSS THE BAHAMAS
ALONG 21N73W 17N79W 11N80W. A 1048 UTC QSCAT PASS INDICATED A
PRONOUNCED WIND SHIFT WHERE NLY 20-25 KT WINDS ARE COMMON W OF
THE TROUGH AXIS AND LIGHTER E TO NE WINDS ARE E OF THE AXIS. IN
ADDITION...VISIBLE IMAGES SHOW MID-LEVEL ROTATION IN THE CLOUDS
NEAR 16N80W. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A SFC LOW PRES SYSTEM MAY BE
FORMING IN THAT VICINITY."

Storm Cooper

Re: Still Quiet [Re: cieldumort]
      #74171 - Wed Nov 22 2006 09:29 AM

Test (reset) Post

--------------------

Storm Cooper

#74177 - Fri Nov 24 2006 11:41 AM

With just a few days to go in the "official" season, there may after all be something to watch...

11am TWO...

AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER HAS FORMED OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA JUST NORTH OF THE COAST OF PANAMA. SOME SLOW
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO AS
IT REMAINS NEARLY STATIONARY.

--------------------

cieldumort

#74179 - Fri Nov 24 2006 01:08 PM

And this region has been bubbling all week - just a few days ago NHC referred to a mid-level low which had formed and was apparently helping to spawn a "broad" surface low south of Jamaica. Allan has done well to mention this a few times, as he has been pleading for them to tag it. Does look like with the front now stalled, and with it being just far-enough south of upper-level disturbances, it might finally pull something off over the weekend.

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Loc: Florida
      #74180 - Fri Nov 24 2006 02:33 PM

We have 95L but models show moving to the West in a few days, more of a TD or very weak TS.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL 27.20N 80.30W
Re: Still Quiet [Re: Old Sailor]
      #74181 - Fri Nov 24 2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

We have 95L but models show moving to the West in a few days, more of a TD or very weak TS.

http://tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

Cat 5orBust
Weather Hobbyist

#74182 - Fri Nov 24 2006 09:22 PM

with the way things have gone this season i wouldnt anticipate much development from 95L, but i will not rule out anything. looking at the latest model runs on 95L, the trend has shifted more to the north with a few more models taking it north as opposed to running it into central america. like many of the other "potential" storms that had looked good and that had model runs, and then faded out, not going to put too much stock into this one yet.

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_95.gif

http://hurricane.methaz.org/tracking/ops/AL952006/gl3min/AL952006.BEST_rain.png

Storm Cooper

Re: Still Quiet [Re: Cat 5orBust]
      #74185 - Fri Nov 24 2006 09:32 PM

--------------------

cieldumort

#74186 - Sat Nov 25 2006 02:59 AM

95L is looking markedly better overnight. Deep convection is now blowing up right over and to the N,NE,E of the LLC - finally. The last few CIs from SSD were not even rating, but this is sure to change with their next update, all things being equal. The old, persistent front has pulled away, and 95L is most likely getting just about all of it's energy elsewhere now.

ElizabethH
Meteorologist

Loc: Bay County
Re: Still Quiet [Re: cieldumort]
      #74187 - Sat Nov 25 2006 08:52 AM

0z models don't do much with 95L other than the GFDL which swings it into the E Pac. Haven't been following this too much as I was off for most of the week! Don't see much happening with this so far, but NHC did mention possible development over the next few days. I'm sure we'll all be keeping an eye on this one. We'll probably see a bit more convection firing up this afternoon...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21774

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center