F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Weak weekend [Re: danielw]
      #76116 - Sat Aug 11 2007 01:16 AM

Yeah, there'll be a lot bantered about with that wave coming off of Africa this weekend I feel. Conditions aren't ideal due to cooler-than-normal water temperatures near the Cape Verdes, but it looks like all other conditions are favorable and that this feature is going to remain far enough south from the outset so as to avoid most of those complications. It's a relatively easy track forecast for anything that does form out there over the next week -- west to west-northwest at 15 or so mph until it gets near the Lesser Antilles. That's where the fun begins. It's largely too early to speculate beyond that, but we'll be watching how a trough across the northeast United States evolves over the next week as it could be key in determining the ultimate track of this feature -- if it develops, of course. The models are in surprisingly good agreement on something forming out there, I'd just go a tad slower than they figure as of now.

Meanwhile, the mess in the Caribbean festers but without anything really to focus upon. I suspect daytime heating and the associated diurnal convection over Cuba and Hispaniola may be hindering things at least a tad. This one's going to be much slower to move over the next few days. It's something to watch, but as of now I think our more significant action may come from the deep tropical Atlantic in the next few days.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Weak weekend [Re: danielw]
      #76119 - Sat Aug 11 2007 09:22 AM

As for the African wave, it's not just the CMC that is picking up on it. The UKMET and GFS are also showing something developing.

Here is the GFS phase analysis: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/gfs/fcst/archive/07081106/46.html

--RC

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Weak weekend [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76120 - Sat Aug 11 2007 10:46 AM

I don't put a lot of stock in 180 Hr forecasts but since model output is always a basis for discussion I will post this link. I tried to research this model to figure out whether it is a stand alone product or what model suite they were using to initialize with no success. Maybe one of the mets can shed more light. In any event it looks like we will be spending more time on this site. This is a wave height model.

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/latest_run/nww3_at.anim.gif

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Weak weekend [Re: craigm]
      #76122 - Sat Aug 11 2007 11:19 AM

There seems to be a big rotation centered between Eleuthera and Nassau this morning, but with very little convection associated with it....is this because it is not at the surface or just the result of the drier air to the north of it? All the convection is to the south and we need some to wrap around to the north to cool us off up here.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Weak weekend [Re: craigm]
      #76123 - Sat Aug 11 2007 11:54 AM

Trying not to get into the realm of speculation, the NCEP 16 day forecast GFS model shows that system holding together all the way to the US. Given that anything past 2-3 days is useless for tracking hurricanes, I don't think anyone should worry about it yet. It could go anywhere still.

Beach
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Close to home,,, [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76124 - Sat Aug 11 2007 12:42 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/nwatl/loop-vis.html

The pressure is falling around the disturbed weather off of SC.
Bouys show the pressure is dropping and the winds remain out of the West.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41033
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fbis1
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/chs/
any chance for this to develop?

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Close to home,,, [Re: Beach]
      #76125 - Sat Aug 11 2007 01:15 PM

Doesn't look like anything we should be concerned about. All the models take it out to sea and toward Great Britain as a vigorous low pressure system, but nothing tropical in nature. No closed low, no cyclonic rotation.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Weak weekend [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #76127 - Sat Aug 11 2007 01:36 PM

The cyclonic circulation moving west from the Bahamas is in the mid and upper levels and the circulation around that is affecting the area near Cuba/Jamaica. However that area is persisting and there is not much real directional movement, which means it needs to be watched.
A weak trough is dropping southward toward the Florida peninsula which is supposed to enhance instability in conjunction with the aforementioned mid-level low...
I would suspect that if anything does "go" in the western Carribean it will move generally westward.
EDS

--------------------
doug

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16459

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center