F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
weather999
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: southwestern ontario, canada
Aspiring Meteorologist Who Would Like to Work Preferably in the Study of Hurricanes
      #76609 - Thu Aug 16 2007 09:42 PM

Hi, I'm currently a high school student in Ontario, Canada. I would like to become a meteorologist in the future, preferably working with hurricanes/severe weather. I am an avid watcher of the weather network, and I monitor the NHC/NRL websites frequently, and I own and read several weather/hurricane study books, etc.

Any advice on specific course types to take? (from what ive seen, physics, chemistry, math, geography, english, other sciences, are the courses i should take)

Any other information about specific universities in Canada/U.S. or information regarding how to work specifically with hurricanes is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Aspiring Meteorologist Who Would Like to Work Preferably in the Study of Hurricanes [Re: weather999]
      #77072 - Sun Aug 19 2007 12:54 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding; obviously, having a major hurricane out there complicates things!

Most meteorology programs will require you to take courses in physics, chemistry, and calculus once you enter college, so any familiarity you can gain with them in high school will be helpful. Geography knowledge is also obviously pretty important, though what you get out of an entry-level college course on that is probably sufficient. It won't be required, but it's a good idea to take it as one of your electives/history credits in college.

Really though, I'd just work hard at physics and calculus and go from there. Those are going to be the two most important courses you can take both in HS and in college.

As an undergraduate, where you go isn't necessarily as important as who you talk to, what you get involved with in your program, and how you do in your program. It's not until graduate school that you will really begin to do specialized meteorology. Being at one of the schools known for tropical meteorology does offer some tangential benefits while as an undergrad, mostly through map discussions (courses and otherwise) and departmental seminars (where people come in from outside the university and give talks).

Florida State, SUNY-Albany, and to a lesser extent Penn State have good graduate-level tropical meteorology programs as well as large undergraduate programs. Other schools like Miami, Colorado St, and MIT have smaller or non-existent undergraduate programs. I may be leaving one or two out from my memory right now. Truthfully though, for any program you go to, it's all about what you make of it. This page -- http://www.ametsoc.org/amsucar_curricula/index.cfm -- should be able to give you more info on meteorology programs in general.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3164

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center