F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: craigm]
      #83988 - Thu Sep 04 2008 04:55 PM

He is an amazingly well put together. On all sides. The eye is in a weird place but looks amazing.

Can't think of another word to use and note that the models have shifted westward with the storm, most making a fast right turn just off the coast of South Florida.. maybe.

Just keep watching but rarely see a storm look so perfectly white on Dvorak imagery.

Visible too.. I may add. Classic looking storm moving into our part of the world. Recon soon takes over from Dvorak to get intensity readings.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t4/vis.jpg

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: LoisCane]
      #83994 - Thu Sep 04 2008 05:36 PM

It's hard to picture what a cat 3 would do to Miami. Think of all the unfinished hi rise buildings. Even worse if Ike were to cross into the Gulf and hit something else.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #83996 - Thu Sep 04 2008 05:52 PM

Ike Photo:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2008248-0904/Ike.A2008248.1440.2km.jpg

From several hours ago.

MissouriHurricane2008
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: MikeC]
      #84002 - Thu Sep 04 2008 07:02 PM

Ike looks like he is going through a reorganization period right now. Skeetobite has it going down to a two before going back up to a cat 3. I believe that the storm will actually take a path that will take through southern Florida and into the gulf. I did notice that Katrina made a slight jog to the north before going across the Florida and entering the Gulf. But then again this storm is 5 days from any sort of major land fall. We will just have to wait and see.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: MissouriHurricane2008]
      #84005 - Thu Sep 04 2008 07:18 PM

Not to be an alarmist, but I decided to have my 2nd floor shutters put up tomorrow. Since they are clear and not unsightly; I figure why not? This way I only have 5 non ladder windows on the first floor to do if Ike looks north. Even though we have a full house generator, still will buy batteries and ice.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: MissouriHurricane2008]
      #84006 - Thu Sep 04 2008 07:18 PM

Perhaps I'm seeing things, but it appears to me that Ike may be attempting a repeat of last night... when it went from an 80mph "minimal' hurricane at 5pm, to a powerful Cat 5 at 8pm, to an even more powerful Cat 4 at 11pm. The satellite presentation appears to me to be better than it was at 11pm last night, although cloud tops are cooler in the western eyewall than in other locations within the hurricane. The ragged eye from a few hours ago is once again a perfect circle. The water vapor loops shows that shear has decreased over the western eyewall and that the overall envelope of Ike has shrunk (indicating lowering pressure?). I may be wrong, but unless shear increases overnight, I still believe recon is in for a surprise tomorrow, and may well find our first Cat 5 of the season.

It's a long way off, but I think a track through the peninsula is entirely possible.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: Hugh]
      #84007 - Thu Sep 04 2008 07:31 PM

Definitely made the turn it seems.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/loop-wv.html

Look at Hanna also, her cloud cover has been pushed over Florida.. not the wind field but clouds, an odd picture. Looks more like a tropical storm within an upper level low. Just talking out loud.. but it looks less and less like a truly tropical storm and short of a strong cold front.

Ike just takes your breath away and big, bands are forming far from the storm.. it's going through some evolution tonight.

What is happening with Hanna... really looks like one big upper level low with a little surface area... weird wv

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/loop-wv.html

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

kromdog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc:
Re: Hanna Moving Northwest, Category 4 Hurricane Ike Forms Moving West [Re: LoisCane]
      #84013 - Thu Sep 04 2008 07:52 PM

I know it is still early but by the weekend we should have a better handle on IKE. If this track holds, things do not look good for the East or West coast of Florida!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 35010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center