F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Hurricane Ike - Weather Reports [Re: MikeC]
      #85063 - Sat Sep 13 2008 11:31 AM

Highest Recorded Peak Wind Gusts (mph):

Sabine Pass 93
Houston Hobby 92
Eagle Point 89
Port Arthur 87
Galveston Pier 77

Lowest recorded pressure of 952.0MB was at Galveston Pier at 13/07Z.
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: Hurricane Ike - Weather Reports [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #85067 - Sat Sep 13 2008 05:33 PM

For anyone wanting to know about damage and conditions in Houston and to a lesser extent, Galveston, I highly recommend the blog on ABC 13's website.

http://weatherblog.abc13.com/2008/09/hurricane-ike-s.html

I used to live in Clear Lake, and I've been reading the blog all day in an effort to learn what happened in that area of town. There are lots of great posts with important information about damage reports and which areas of the city are still closed to evacuees.

hogrunr
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Spring, TX
Re: Hurricane Ike - Weather Reports [Re: MissBecky]
      #85070 - Sat Sep 13 2008 10:18 PM

Ike started affecting us yesterday afternoon here in Spring, TX, just north of Houston. Overnight, the strongest winds affected us from about 2:30 to about 10 am this morning. At 7 am we were experiencing the northern edge of the eye wall, that was the strongest point of all. The power blinked in and out 3 times, with it going out for good on the 3rd time at about 4:30 to 5 am. We experienced fairly heavy wind and rain all day through early afternoon. I don't think anyone in our neighborhood had any real damage, no broken windows, mostly some fences blown down, mine included. Alot of small trees blown over, and alot of my landscaping was pulled up, roots and all and blown around my yard.

I did a survey of the area and there was still some water over the road in a couple of places, and a bank drive through had been torn apart pretty severely. Our power turned back on at about 7:30 to 8 pm tonight. We are one of the lucky ones, as the town just north of us (with lots and lots of huge Pine trees) is expected to take 2-4 weeks to get it all restored. There are tons of lines down with trees over them and the such. Overall things went well here, it was my first hurricane and eye just brushed our location, so we got about 8-9 inches of rain total. Got some decent video and pictures as well so hopefully I can get them posted up soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22514

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center