Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The Atlantic is mostly quiet
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 11 (Michael) , Major: 11 (Michael) Florida - Any: 11 (Michael) Major: 11 (Michael)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> 2018 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Michael Conditions in Your Area
      #99744 - Mon Oct 08 2018 06:44 AM

This is the thread to report on observations in your area, weather, folks behavior, closures, etc or what you see related to Michael's effects.

In Orlando steady 5-10mph or so wind from the Northeast.

CFHC Orlando WX Station - CFHC Cocoa Weather Station

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aquanaut

Reged: Sat
Loc: Cocoa & St. Augustine, Florida
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #99755 - Mon Oct 08 2018 12:31 PM

Well, finally back after rediscovering my Login name . . . and good to be here.

St. Augustine currently: winds E 15-25 gusts, mostly cloudy.
Very early this morning (5:00AM) there were several 30-40 MPH gusts with light rain.

Regards,

Walt

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: Aquanaut]
      #99759 - Mon Oct 08 2018 01:10 PM

breezy and overcast last two days... a nice change..Barometer 29.87 and falling .Radar shows two fast moving rain areas moving WNW that will pass over here in about 30 minutes so we'll see how frisky these get. We just had new deeper guttering installed today- as the other we had was incapable of handling the "big gulp" rains we have had here several time this summer...just in time for a good work out.

--------------------
doug

Beaker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City Beach
      #99767 - Mon Oct 08 2018 06:47 PM

Still quiet in Panama City Beach. Getting ready to evacuate in the am since I live directly on the beach (in high rise). Waves are starting to build and it’s been breezy today. Tide was higher than normal, water up to the bottom of the docks when normally 2’ or so below. Taking pictures of everything prior to leaving for insurance afterward. Hoping won’t need it.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Loc: Central Florida
      #99768 - Mon Oct 08 2018 07:00 PM

Had decent rain and wind gusts earlier in the day today in the Lakeland area, off and on light rain and overcast since that time.

Prospero
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: Beaker]
      #99771 - Mon Oct 08 2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Still quiet in Panama City Beach. ...

Good luck Beaker! We'll all be paying attention. Keep us posted, please.

We've been breezy all day here in Gulfport, Florida. So far a 43 mph gust has been the peak wind. We've had some rain, a tenth of an inch or so, yet the general feeling is one of familiar tropical storm approaching weather. Funny how it actually feels good; warm and humid, but not the typical Florida sticky sweaty itchy muggy heat that we all know so well all summer no matter how strong the wind blows.

We started preparing today for any possible shift east of the track. Seriously though we hope to NOT have to put up the plywood and secure the dozens of bird feeders, hanging decorations, potted plants, lawn gadgets and tools, and so on in our back yard. We don't have to worry about the two Laurel Oaks coming down this year as Irma took them out last year. (Yes, our eclectic bill went up about 20 to 30 bucks a months this summer without the shade they provided.)

My wife is a teacher here in Pinellas County. She, along with every other teacher and all of the students are wishing for a "snow day" tomorrow, but it appears the alarm will be going off for us to start our day at 4:00 am. But hey, maybe on Wednesday?

As long as our power stays on, we love a storm. And we do care about others, so let's enjoy Michael while staying SAFE and keeping our comforts running, i.e.; A/C, refrigerators, internet, TV cable, phones, etc.

That is especially true when thinking of you and your neighbors, Beaker. Hope you are prepared, and wish you the best.

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: Prospero]
      #99774 - Mon Oct 08 2018 10:16 PM

Stay safe Beaker!
A quick (2 minute) rain band just drenched us here in Port Charlotte. Then it sped off to play elsewhere.
Nice breezy weather. The Indians didn't need radar, this abrupt change from dead of summer to cloud racing squalls gives it away. Something's in the air. Prayers for the safety of all those in his path.

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

Prospero
Weather Guru

Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: Bev]
      #99779 - Tue Oct 09 2018 12:08 PM

Tuesday noon on Clearwater Beach approaching high tide within an hour, you can see the Gulf of Mexico is higher than normal even with a 20 mph east wind.

So far today the high gust has been 35 mph and there has been no rain. Michael is quite a distance away, but we know if any of the outer rain bands make it here we'll see strong gusts.

You can watch Hurricane Michael conditions live on Clearwater Beach here:

Live Hurricane Michael Conditions on Clearwater Beach

Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
      #99780 - Tue Oct 09 2018 12:24 PM

It's been surprisingly dry here in Boca Raton, with an occasional shower off the water. Usually with a large hurricane in gulf we can expect a little more than this.

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: Owlguin]
      #99783 - Tue Oct 09 2018 02:59 PM

Nothing here in Plant City either. There does look to be a rain band forming to our east along the Polk/Osceola line but no rain immediately threatening us. A bit windy but not too much....

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #99786 - Tue Oct 09 2018 04:41 PM

Storm surge entering some of the lower elevation homes reported in Sanibel Island, Surge in other areas of the west coast. Check out our twitter feed for some of that.
http://twitter.com/cfhc

Prospero
Weather Guru

#99788 - Tue Oct 09 2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Storm surge entering some of the lower elevation homes reported in Sanibel Island, Surge in other areas of the west coast.

I noticed this afternoon in downtown Gulfport, Florida nobody was stacking sand bags on Beach Blvd. in front of their businesses. I've never seen this town so apathetic on any storm. And from I have seen even today here and in Clearwater Beach at high tide, I suspect everyone will be unpleasantly surprised by how much water comes in tonight and tomorrow, and tomorrow night.

I wonder if the total agreement on the model plots has everyone around here confident this storm will miss us and not have any affects. That is unfortunate, the storm surge from Michael may surpass anything around here since Hurricane Agnes.

Prospero
Weather Guru

#99789 - Tue Oct 09 2018 07:14 PM

Our Clearwater Beach weather station just recorded a 46 mpg gust during a small rain storm.

WeatherLink Clearwater Beach

BayCoGator
Verified CFHC User

Loc: NW Florida
      #99793 - Tue Oct 09 2018 09:19 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

As beaker noted, water is higher than normal already. This is a picture of the dock at Uncle Ernie's on St Andrews Bay today around lunch time.

*Edit to add...attempted to attach the pic but it might not have worked. The deck of the dock was submerged.

Edited by BayCoGator (Tue Oct 09 2018 09:25 PM)

Prospero
Weather Guru

Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: BayCoGator]
      #99795 - Tue Oct 09 2018 10:25 PM

Watching the outer bands approaching just off shore and a 48 mph gust on Egmont Key a few minutes ago. We in Pinellas County are going to get hammered very soon. Maybe not hurricane force, but definitely tropical storm force and there will be power outages.

Very strange this one; no closures in the county, schools are open as normal tomorrow, no evacuations at all even with a storm surge eminent. I haven't seen anybody board up windows or put down sand bags.

Our power went out last year after a 39 mpg gust with Irma. I am feeling like Michael is going to be stronger here in Pinellas.

StanBirdseyeuas

#99797 - Tue Oct 09 2018 10:34 PM Attachment (74 downloads)

Tallahasse is a ghost town. Taken at 7pm today.

Edited by StanBirdseyeuas (Tue Oct 09 2018 10:35 PM)

WIll Hawe

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: StanBirdseyeuas]
      #99802 - Wed Oct 10 2018 07:47 AM

Good morning From Tallahassee, Florida.

Things haven't started yet, but outer rain bands are expected within the hour.

It's overly quiet, and we're as ready as we can be. TPD, and TFD will be stopping operations at 35mph.

KTLH - Tallahasse international is now closed, and the tower abandoned. as of midnight.

BayCoGator
Verified CFHC User

Loc: NW Florida
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: WIll Hawe]
      #99805 - Wed Oct 10 2018 09:13 AM

Water at Panama City Beach is a shade over 3ft above normal levels measured at the instrumentation at the City Pier. For those familiar with the area, the gulf is nearly up to the bottom steps of the back deck of Schooners.

Kraig
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jupiter, Fl
Re: Michael Conditions in Your Area [Re: BayCoGator]
      #99807 - Wed Oct 10 2018 09:34 AM

NWS Tallahassee Coastal Flood Monitoring Stations

link to several storm surge monitoring stations in the area....

StanBirdseyeuas

#99812 - Wed Oct 10 2018 12:40 PM

Live Storm Chasers.

https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., Atricks, danielw, Clark, Christine H, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort, Jackie M, Wigeon, Hank Buck 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4021

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center