cieldumort
(Moderator)
Sat Jun 09 2007 05:26 AM
Re: Very large whirlwind/dust devil....

Speaking of which - and this may be of particular interest to those of you in Florida who witness any future -especially tall- dust devils.. While living in Arizona I witnessed at least one occasion of a true dust devil to landspout transition.

This started out as a bona fide dust devil, although a particularly powerful one which reached higher and higher into the sky, and finally happened a meet-up with a towering cumulus not perfectly overhead, but which eventually drifted just about directly overhead. Anyone who has chased tornadoes before observing this -after- the transition would have assumed it was a classic landspout. Someone else observing this from the start, but not from the excellent vantage point I had, may have easily mistaken it for nothing more than a dust devil. I had the benefit of being up on a hill looking down at the base of the dust devil from not terribly far away., and with little or no obstructions from surface to cloud base.

It was a fantastic occurrence. Truly rare. F0, by the way. Made the evening news.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center