Storm Cooper
(User)
Fri Jun 22 2007 10:43 PM
Re: FATAL - "BOLT FROM THE BLUE"

Sad but true of the person killed and I can relate to Ed somewhat.... it was once the practice to attack fires started by lightning while the storm and lightning were still present In any event, I found it funny that just yesterday I got a "spotter" update email out of Tallahassee.... here is a part....Ed will like it...

The summer also presents other dangerous weather conditions for our region. Afternoon showers and thunderstorms can develop rapidly with little or no warning. When a thunderstorm develops, seek shelter immediately. Remember and use the 30-30 rule. The 30/30 Rule states that people should seek shelter if the "Flash-To-Bang" delay (length of time in seconds between a lightning flash and its subsequent thunder), is 30 seconds or less, and that they remain under cover until 30 minutes after the final clap of thunder.

A 30 second lead time is necessary prior to a storm's arrival because of the possibility of distant strikes. A 30 minute wait after the last thunder is heard is necessary because the trailing storm clouds still carry a lingering charge. This charge can and does occasionally produce lightning on the back edge of a storm, several minutes after the rain has ended.

Studies have shown most people struck by lightning are struck not at the height of a thunderstorm, but before and after the storm has peaked. This shows many people are unaware of how far lightning can strike from its parent thunderstorm. Do not wait for the rain to start before seeking shelter, and do not leave shelter just because the rain has ended.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center