ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Jul 24 2007 05:42 AM
Rain bombs... is this a new term?

KVUE says it's not an 'official' term but one that a meteorologist came up with to describe what we've been getting here in Texas this year.

I was just wondering if this is being used elsewhere and if you've heard of it before this year...

From KVUE

Quote:

On June 28, Marble Falls got close to 19 inches of rain -- sweeping cars, trailers and even people downstream. Joe Arellano, the meteorologist in charge for the National Weather Service says it was rather unusual.

"I would classify it at least as a 100-year event -- getting 18 inches plus is not something we see very often," he said.

These extreme rain events -- or "rain bombs" -- started occurring in mid June. The first to be hit was Gainesville, Texas. At least six people died when more than 8 inches of rain fell there.

Ten days later Marble Falls was struck. On July 2, Corpus Christi picked up almost 10 inches of rain. People had to be rescued from roof tops. This past weekend, 10 to 15 inches fell upstream of D'Hannis.

The words "rain bomb" are not actually a meteorological term. They were used by a National Weather Service forecaster to describe what happened in Marble Falls and just caught on.

Thank you (I hope this is the right forum!!) (And I sure hope any TD, TS or H that occur are fishes this year!)

'shana

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center