Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 11 2007 05:20 AM
Re: heat wave

I've been tracking this heat wave over at another forum and it's been particularly brutal for your area, HF, but then again that always seems to be the area that bears the brunt of the heat when it comes. At the start of last week, I anticipated highs in the mid 100s would be commonplace, though I didn't quite figure on these numbers approaching the upper 100s. Never underestimate what relatively parched soil can do for high temperatures.

Here in Tallahassee, we've hit 98-99 regularly the past few days with obscenely high dewpoints. When we hit 100+ earlier this year, we mixed most of our low level moisture out, resulting in dewpoints near 60. This time, dewpoints have been in the mid to upper 70s, resulting in heat indices over 110F. Even now, after 1am, it's still 83 with a dewpoint of 78. Positively brutal, though at least we have had some rain this week to keep us from drying out again.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center