weathernet
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Jun 03 2008 09:58 PM
Re: Increased S. Florida Hurricane Risk? - May Precip. Totals

Craig -
Hey thanks for "picking up" on the bad link; after you had mentioned that, I did realize that it did look a little short there.

I had heard that Jim Lushine had retired, but then again, he may still be there at the NWS office adjacent to NHC for one more year. Not sure. I had met him couple of times and spoken to him multiple others. Is a real nice and low key guy. I would be interested to see if he did research to further determine even additional correlation with dry and below normal rainfall totals for June as well. Just curious if the data changes or stacks up even worse. Not to say S. Fla. will continue on this "dry heave", but for now......., the pattern isn' t looking too wet for the first week of June. As for whether this data bodes threatening for only Southernmost Florida, I doubt it. My guess is that this is merely natures balancing act of evening itself out. Who can tell if, or exactly what areas might be affected in Florida by a tropical cyclone this year, but remember that it only takes one really good sucker to come north out of the W. Carib. to dump an awful lot of rain that could easily affect over 1/2 the state. Furthermore, add a pinch of "slow motion" when steering currents start to break down, say in middle to late Sept., and even an Arthur type storm would fill up some lakes and green up our lawns.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center