Todd
(Weather Watcher)
Fri May 17 2002 05:59 PM
Re: Evacuations

It would all depend on the positon of the eye. I live on the river here in New Bern (off Pamlico Sound) roughly 30 miles inland. Storm surge is the big threat. We're well protected from the North but open to the South. I've been here since the Fran/Bertha storms, wiith Bertha posing the most surge in my area ( water and breakers up to the steps of the house). So ... a CAT 3 to the immediate East of me raises my eyebrows.. Above a CAT 3 .. Yep! ..I'm off to higher ground ( or a better protected facility). Totally evacuating an area is not an option. Hugo had effects all the way to Charlotte and beyond.. In my opion, you're better to seek substantial shelter in the local area then to fight the traffic and reentry problems. If you don't have home / property/ job... you should go... no matter if it's a CAT 1 and visit some other time. You won't be able to find ice for your scotch after the storms passed.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center