LI Phil
(User)
Sat Oct 23 2004 10:25 PM
Re: Bahamas death toll.

Spike, hahaha & Ed;

Ivan had NO effect, per se, on the Bahamas; Ivan did, however, pummel Grenada, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac & Cuba, before ultimately unleashing on the FL/AL coasts...

However, Jeanne and the unnamed storm in May were KILLERS of serious magnitude, especially on Hispaniola in general, and Haiti in particular...I would hazard a guess that 5,000 or more were killed directly or indirectly as a result of Jeanne & UNS (UnNamedStorm) in Hispaniola and the Islands.

Regardless of the numbers, it's a horrible set of occurrences and should not be made light of.

NHC was spot on this year, for the most part, but I believe, and will contend, that they dropped the ball on the unnamed storm in May & NOT classifying Matthew when it was obvious he was a TD for almost 36 hours. Afterall, how many storms go straight to named status without first being classified as TD's??? Especially in the GOM!!!

I'm guessing what should be STD/STS Otto won't gain recognition either.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center