flarrfan
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 31 2005 05:52 PM
Re: Least hit ?

Quote:

No area is really safe, but certainly inland central Florida and other inland areas northward are the safest. Orlando, for example, had 3 hurricanes pass nearby last year but there was relatively little damage. It seems like the Gulf provides the fuel necessary for these storms to intesify.

Relatively little damage in Orlando last year?

I don't know where this poster lives, but I doubt he's among the million plus inland central Floridians impacted by the Cat 2 remnants of Charley last August. I was one of the considerably smaller number of Orlando residents seriously impacted by then Cat 2 Donna in 1960. That's two more hurricanes than the number impacting the Jacksonville area in the same 44-year time span.

Any place on the peninsula, coastal or inland, is less safe than Jacksonville IMHO. Draw a line basically from St. Augustine across to Perry, and north to Georgia. Everything west of that is panhandle historically subject to GOM storms. Everything south is peninsula with storm threat from both sides.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center