Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 05 2005 02:13 AM
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms

My parents have returned home to a house with power, water and air conditioning (currently set at 70 degrees), but no land-line phone service, and very spotty cell service. They encountered no difficulty driving home on I10W, although they heard that I10E had a bridge (bridges) out and people were being re-routed.

The house on Chaucer Dr. is fine. No significant damage. No water, no broken windows, no fence (but hey, we already knew that!). The only items they can see that are damaged are the garage has no roof (or was it little roof?), the large tree in their front yard is dead - still standing, but definitely took a beating, and the roof to the house has taken some, but hopefully not terribly extensive damage.

Daddy said the rest of the subdivision looks like a hurricane hit (funny, I know). All the beautiful tree-lined drives are now formerly tree-lined drives, but those trees that fell have already been cleared, cut, and stacked off to the side. Mississippi is already rebuilding and cleaning up.

They are traveling to Mom's office tomorrow (in Biloxi) to survey the damage and collect what things of Mom's that they can. The office has taken significant damage, and will be relocating to the much smaller Jackson, MS office to continue business.

Walmart is back open, the banks are open for a few hours a day, and a few local gas stations have gas, although the lines are said to be anywhere from blocks to miles long (depending on who you want to believe).

Just thought I'd update y'all with some positives.

...Barb

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center