Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sat Jul 17 2004 11:53 AM
Re: Patterns in late rainy season starts ..wondering

Well, I have given this considerable thought and many hours of scientific analysis and I believe that I have discovered the teleconnection error. Sounds like you had a disappointing trip to Florida, but you picked the wrong week and looked in the wrong places. It turns out that the analog has nothing to do with mosquito bites.

1. Last week the moon was in its fading final quarter (new moon today). You might have been more successful in verifying the theory if you had visited a week earlier (full moon on the 2nd).

2. In Florida the teleconnection transfers from the land to the seashore, and the task shifts from 'plowing' to 'plying'. It is usually only a 'full moon' phenomenon, but there are exceptions. It can be observed at Panama City Beach or Playalinda Beach on almost any summer evening - and at Key West throughout the year.

There is a related phenomenon, complete with gender switch, at Boston harbor on the coldest day of the winter - but obviously not a tropical teleconnection. I think that it may have something to do with nor'easters??? It was the Boston harbor event that pretty much confirmed the fact that mosquitoes are not involved. Then again, there may be some connection between mosquito bites and goose bumps - not sure. Probably needs more research.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center