Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sat May 14 2005 12:25 PM
Impact of Jeanne on Barrier Islands

In response to an earlier post, I prepared a damage assessment for Emergency Management (I am a volunteer member of EM on the beach) and noted the following:

I did a damage assessment for Satellite Beach since their anemometer suffered a broken cable at 2AM. Here is a summary:
South Patrick Shores (including south PAFB): 70G90mph
Satellite Beach: probably hurricane force 75G100mph
Exceptions: Grant Avenue to Harwood Avenue: 80G105mph
Sandy Pointe to Lansing Island: 70G90mph
Melbourne Beach: 80G105mph, except for a small stretch evident along Riverside Drive: 85G110mph (could have been a mini-tornado)

North PAFB and Cocoa Beach probably had 65mph gusting to 80mph.

Damage in Satellite Beach was not as bad as Erin in 1995, however, I hate to say this, but I believe that the many new condos (which did rather well) probably lifted most of the stronger winds over the barrier island in Satellite Beach, thus reducing the extent of damage. OIA had a gust to 78mph and Melbourne recorded at gust to 105mph. Sebastian had a gust to 102mph and Vero 122mph.

I recorded tropical storm force winds from 0116 to 0700. Lowest pressure at the house was 28.98 at 0414. Storm total precipitation was 5.79 inches (0.67 on the 25th and 5.12 on the 26th). Both the lowest pressure and precip totals were very close to what was recorded at MLB.

Frances was also a minimal hurricane on the barrier islands from Satellite Beach southward. Neither storm was as strong as Erin in 1995 in Indialantic. Post storm analysis by NWS et al, indicated that no location on the mainland (in our area) had hurricane force winds from either storm, but that the barrier islands did experience minimal Cat I hurricane conditions from both storms. The 105mph gust at MLB was never confirmed and NWS has no idea as to where that report came from. The uncommonly high gust reported at the Cape Canaveral cruise terminal was false. Hope this answers your question.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center