HanKFranK
(User)
Fri Aug 19 2005 02:12 AM
Google Earth

if you haven't taken a look yet, go to www.earth.google.com
takes a modest sized download and you can use the limited service for free.
google has added a new dimension to the web search engine, this one geographic. as i've had it explained, the digital imagery is being streamed via a new torrent-type format that helps it load lightning fast. i'm still working on how to use the features.. spent a lot of time just wowed by how much imagery could be accessed. found old houses i've lived in, found the pyramids at giza, found a little german town i used to live in, the coliseum in rome, ground zero in nyc... they've even got 3-d models of the buildings in nyc so you can view the skyline. if they start rendering the terrain on elevation models and get the meter-resolution type hi-res for more of the country.. well, i'll never stop looking at it.
this is a hell of a technological breakthrough.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center