tigerman11
(Registered User)
Fri Jun 02 2006 03:57 AM
How does one become a strom tracker/chaser for a career?

I have always been interested in hurricanes and their awesome power. My wife and I moved to central Florida three weeks before Katrina from the New Orleans area. Last year changed my life forever because my parents, sister, grandparents, and many friends were caught in the storm and I did not speak to them for 2 plus weeks. When I finally did reach my family, I learned that the home I spent many years in was badly damaged and my sister's apartment near the lakefront was flooded. I could not believe the stories that were coming out of the city I grew up in and loved very deeply. I am interested in learning what careers are available in the field of meteorology that deal specifically with hurricanes and being there during the unfolding of the story. I have always been intrigued by the storm tracker/hunter teams who go out during the storm to report what is happening live. How do you break into this field? Thanks for any reponses.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center