Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Thu May 31 2007 02:16 AM
Re: No Gulf Stream?

First off, I don't think that post is in the correct forum. Second, I don't think the people at that message board you cited know ANYTHING about the Gulf Stream, surface currents, or how to read SST graphics. Seems to be a bunch of alarmists trying to find anything that might support their 'the sky is falling' ideas. I do not see how they came up with the idea that the Gulf Stream has stopped or even weakened significantly from the images they share. They totally ignore that the water temperatures (even in the stream) get gradually cooler (but still warm relative to water outside the stream) as you go north and north east. They also seem to find something unusual in natural eddies and curls in the stream and they are looking at low resolution images as well. Look at the following image and tell me if you can see a Gulf Stream?

LSU Earth-scan Lab GOES-12 weekly composite

It is true that if the Gulf Stream ever stopped flowing it would cause MAJOR changes in weather, especially in Great Britain and the west coast of Europe (probably other areas as well, but those are the obvious ones). I'm sure there are experts at this site, who might do a more complete job than this, but take a look at the image and consider the source at that message board.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center