Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Jul 18 2008 09:57 PM
Re: Focus on Low off Georgia Coast and Central Caribbean

For those not paying attention to Bertha anymore, it's back to a hurricane. IR looks good, but as NHC said, it's heading into cool waters and should only weaken. Very strong eye visible on IR. Wonder how long she'll hold on before coming extratropical.

The system off Georgia's coast (96L) currently has a 1.5 Dvorak rating. The GFDL model is taking it due north into South Carolina. I think the biggest question with this system, like 95L earlier in the week, is whether it will have a chance to even become a Tropical Depression before making landfall. I think a lot of this is whether it actually makes landfall. If you check out the various model tracks, you'll see that a number either keep it out to sea or right along the coast. I suspect a lot of this discrepancy is exactly where each model places the center of the low. With a hurricane hunter heading out, we should have better model runs tomorrow on the system, if it isn't already overland by then.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center