weathernet
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Aug 14 2008 07:03 PM
Gulf a possibility?

Quote:

I was wondering if there is any chance of this depression/storm coming into the Gulf Of Mexico?
I have not seen any information in the last 2 days on this website to support that.
I live in Louisiana and was wondering what would have to happen for this storm to enter the gulf.
If it goes into the gulf do any of you think that there is a chance that it will come near La.?
I know that it is very early to predict, but alittle worried about any storm that gets into the gulf.
Thanks guys and keep up the great work here. I enjoy your website and have learned alot over the years.
Thanks!

Strictly opinion here, and that based on longer range steering that still may be nebulous. A weaker system that could have treked westward through the Greater Antilles could certainly reach the Gulf. Or, a potentially stronger storm having gone more WNW just north of the Greater Antilles could enter the Gulf as well. What I am seeing downstream appears to be a weakening trough which is bent N.E. / S.W. Looks to me that a big building ridge somewhere over the Southern Plains is moving or bridging eastward in time. Timing is everything here. My guess is that even if a storm were in the E. Gulf, that it would seem to have to be steered more westward in such a set up. That would tend to have the W. or N.W. Gulf more at risk. Again, this is assuming a big northerly retreat of the westerlies with a big mid level high over or near Texas. This would be my guess if this were work its way into the Gulf.

Remember, maps and models change, and its only a "best guess" based on current data that may not prove accurate.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center