Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 27 2008 04:16 PM
Re: gustav looking strange on loops

I agree that Florida is NOT out of danger just because the 5-day shows it well west of here. It bothers me when people at work look at that 5-day, see it west of us and go, "Nothing to worry about, it won't hit us". Amazes me how short memories are of how storms wobble and swerve. I am trying to teach them to look at how wide the cone is when it reaches our latitude. The wider it is, the less certain the track and the more potential danger to our area. That 5-day cone is about 800 miles wide at Tampa's latitude and I will NOT let my guard down, no matter what the local TV mets say. Just seeing it shift so we are on the very edge of the cone shows this. It DOES seem pretty clear that it is headed into the Gulf SOMEWHERE. The more it slows, the less certain things will get. If you live along the GOM, your motto ought to be, "keep your eyes on the cone".

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center