Geoff
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 27 2008 06:56 PM
Attachment
Re: gustav looking strange on loops

Regarding that Surface graphic image sent earlier, I see the 1012 isobar line which I am assuming shows the general shape of the boundary of high pressure area that is mentioned as "blocking" Gustav (stated like a true non-Met!)

The question I have has to do with where that "12" isobar was yesterday. It appears to be retreating east at a fair clip when you compare today's position with yesterdays position (see the attached JPG from yesterday at 21UTC).

If it continues that retreat east at the same rate, it seems like it wouldn't take long to be mostly out of the Gulf; and if so, would that not start to move the forcast direction more northerly and eventually northeasterly?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center