doug
(Weather Analyst)
Sat Sep 06 2008 12:05 PM
Re: Current motion

It looks as if good ole Hanna is actually effecting the depth of the high as it digs SW on its east side and how quickly the short wave coming from the west will erode the west side and how deep that will be. I guess the faster Hanna pulls NE will impact how deep the ridge will dig by tending to flatten it out the further north it goes. IKE is located just east of the apex of a very sharp point on that ridge, and the steering just west of that point is definitely wnw. As Hanna pulls out that should make the whole area a little more east to west. That could happen today before IKE actually impacts Cuba. My unskillful observations also suggest that the west side of the high will erode into the middle GOM as the trough approaches from the west. This poses a definite issue for recurvature as it increasingly seems IKE will bypass south Florida. But I am not comforted by that. I don't see IKE as a middle Gulf coast storm but more likely something east of the Mississippi River. This definitely has my attention in west central Florida as there is nothing more ominous than a strong storm being SW of our area with a probability of a future NE track.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center