JMII
(Weather Master)
Sun Sep 10 2017 05:05 PM
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE

Quote:

Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I would not have put that out there if the actual observable data did not support my opinion.

So true. I think the NHC needs a better way to explain the wind field to people. I've got friends/relatives from out of town that thing we are in a 155 mph monster, another Andrew. The wind here is blowing 40 max. I assume we will see some 60 to 80 gusts at some point, but I am 110 miles away from the eye. Key Largo has 60 mph winds now and they are only 60 miles away. The TS force winds extend really far, but the hurricane force winds do not. And the areas that are getting hurricane force are not experiencing anything near Cat 4 levels. Dig up my old posts, I complain about this during every storm with estimated winds, flight level winds, max winds., etc. Like temperature we need a "feels like" hurricane value. Sorry for the rant but this kind of stuff makes people think storms are "weak" and thus do not prepare next time.

However I must say this is feeling like David, its been going on for HOURS. The wind has been relentless since 10PM last night and I'd say we are only 40% done.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center