kapSt.Cloud
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Nov 06 2022 04:50 PM
Re: Large Low Near Greater Antilles

Mike, people need to pay attention to the cone this time. They didn’t with Ian and needless deaths were the result! As of now the models are all over the place. Skirting Florida’s east coast, crossing Florida and into the Gulf taking it into the big bend, or even into Mississippi/ Alabama, etc. This one is similar to Frances & Jean.

I’m aware this is the Forecast Lounge, but Mike I have to write the following in order to warn against complacency. People have to realize these storms have a mind of their own when it comes to strength at landfall. Zeta in 2020, according to the Weather Channel was to hit Mississippi with a Cat 1, 74 mph winds. She shocked everyone when making landfall as a low Cat 3! I’ll never forget Jim Cantore on the WC saying “I can’t wrap my head around this one! Cold water on the bottom, cold air on top and it increased to a Cat 3 at landfall!”

At the time I lived across the street from the Gulf, but happened to be in Florida. My daughter was in my house and experienced the frightening ordeal of hearing part of my metal roof peeling back, the house on 16” concrete piers shaking, objects hitting the house, storm rain coming through the front door as if there wasn’t a door! I was on the phone with her when it hit! She grabbed my Yorkie and ran for the interior pantry. Thank God my neighbor took them in for 6 days as they had a whole house generator.

U.S. 90 became part of the Gulf. Zeta also caused many interior tornadoes which did tremendous damage to structures. So folks, pay heed to the warnings. Keep your eyes on the cone. And…if told to evacuate…EVACUATE!! Those who survived Camille in Mississippi and didn’t evacuate during Katrina…didn’t survive.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center