Psyber
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Sep 26 2024 07:13 PM
Re: Helene Lounge

There is a slight bit of good news in there. A 948mb storm tends not to hide a ridiculous amount of strengthening so maybe it'll drop back down to a 3 in the shallow waters around Florida. I worked late, so I'm too tired to look up the SSTs.

I remember 2005 though. 2005 was, unfortunately, one of the worst years ever for low-barometer storms. I remember watching storm after stop after storm, dropping to 900 (Katrina and Rita)

But then Wilma showed up and dropped to 870 or 880 MB or something. With Wilma, they supported 185mph/300km/hr winds. In the countries that got hit when she was at her strongest, people had the paint sandblasted off their cars.

Wow, it's been almost two decades since we all lived on the site, watching storm after storm pound the GoM and East Coast. It was almost like a malevolent beast was in control of the weather.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center