IsoFlame
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Oct 07 2024 02:09 PM
Re: Milton Lounge

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this myth just offends me. I have lived in North Tampa since the mid 70's and there were plenty of storms that hit us. Yeah, maybe they didn't completely wipe out the city (as some ghouls seem to want), but there has been flooding, major damage, power outages and loss of life. Anyone who supports this 100 year myth is usually a real estate speculator. If sitting in the dark listening to tree parts hammer your storm shutters all night is "dodging" the storm, then I'm out.

If you are 60+ years old, from the 4th generation of a family that settled in the area shortly after the Civil War and have lived in central Florida (especially on either coast) all your life, I don't think you have truly weathered a direct (within 25 degrees of perpendicular) a close proximity (within 25 miles) hit from a Major Cat 4/5 hurricane plowing through the central peninsula. My 92-yr old dad who lived in the dead center of central Florida, his brother who lived in the Shores (east Pinellas/St Pete), and I living in Daytona Beach shores have not had the rarified experience, though Floyd, Mathew and Dorian had the potential to be worse-case scenarios where I live.

I'm not saying that a somewhat "weaker" cat 3 hurricane hitting at a greater angel has not or will not been destructive- it will be. Coastal residents in Florida live on a sandbar with geography subject to change.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center