TXEB
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Oct 08 2024 12:32 PM
Re: Milton Lounge

Quote:

I live in Sebring and have to make a decision on my options so at what update should I expect the projected track to be 'final' as can be? I know this one right now looks 50 miles north or south of Tampa and that is a huge margin.

We stayed in place for Beryl, which hit us with strong Cat 1 winds, from which we had no damage of any kind. Previously we evacuated for Ike, again without any damage. But from both of those let me share a few things learned. Even if you’re secure at the immediate threat from wind and water, you need to be prepared for living in what conditions will be after the storm passes. That includes mobility (roads may be blocked or impassible for several days), power (Ike killed ours for 10 days, Beryl for 2.5), and once able to travel access to fuel and food. When there’s no power in the area broadly stores will be closed meaning no purchases. So do consider what it may be like after the storm has passed, and what you would need access to.

As far as track and cone of uncertainty, it’s a statistical probability that accounts for 2/3rds of storm tracks over the previous five years. You can see the actual numbers and get a good explanation here.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutcone.shtml

The distances cited are from the forecast track, so plus/minus.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center