Clark
(Meteorologist)
Wed Aug 10 2005 05:10 AM
Re: Joe Bastardi's take

To be fair, JB does get some right. My biggest problem today was with the storms pulled out, fair or unfair. Making a comparison to Andrew is no child's play. It is one thing to say the potential is there for a major hurricane; it is another to say that we'll see another Andrew-like storm. JB himself is big on climatology, as I've seen in his season writeups, and he would know better than most that a storm like Andrew is very rare climatologically.

There have been so many other storms like Irene that amounted to nothing that picking one out for analysis isn't prudent, IMO. The storm could do anything from dissipate to rapidly intensify, as can all storms; the conditions now and forecast, however, suggest that modest intensification is possible with no agreement on a track out beyond 3-5 days. It is in the choice to make a call at this point to predict where it might go beyond that or not; given the track errors that far out and the spread of the model guidance, I choose not to. Others may not share that choice and I respect their decision to do so, but it is one I don't agree with.

That said, I think it's time we get back to the meteorology.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center