HomesteadGirl
(Registered User)
Mon Nov 14 2005 04:25 PM
Re: don't be silly

I didn't say I was moving to the desert, that's not my thing. I also prefer the tropics, regardless of the hurricane or 2 - or 10. It doesn't matter much, I pretty much live in a fortress. It made it through Andrew without much damage. It'll make it through anything, especially with shutters.

Now about the animals, I believe they have a natural sense to avoid danger. I've seen it several times on National Geographic and even years and years ago with the Wild Kingdom. I believe they are more sensitive to atmospheric pressure changes than humans and therefore can react naturally to the weather occurances. They actually "hunker down" without the help of Bryan Norcorss.

As far as being prepared for a tornado, yes you should have a flashlight ready if there is a tornado watch in effect - in case you do lose power. But a flashlight will do nothing if your house actually gets hit by one. And you don't board up, you grab what you can and head for the basement (or safe room). Most people up north have basements, unless you live in a trailer. My whole point about the tornado/hurricane debate is hurricanes you get approximately 2-5 days notice before you get nailed. A tornado is a hit or miss. Could get you and not your neighbor and you maybe get a 5-20 minute notice, if you get a notice at all. I'll take the extra day or two to prepare.

So, what about the upcoming (posted Monday morning) Gamma!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center