Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Wed May 24 2006 11:12 PM
Re: A dark day in meteorology...

A few thoughts. Publicity on something like this, particularly if the arguement is framed to point out the negative effects on the public. Getting CNN, Slashdot, Fox News or even a local station to pick up the story could place perssure on the people who did this.

It looks like the PSU models are not based on FSU information, or if they are, FSU hasn't shut down that particular backdoor. Hopefully PSU is self contained and not under the jurisdition of the FSU edict.

I'm not sure i can find a silver lining in this mess, I almost feel like Accuweather is somehow behind this (vis a vis their efforts get a bill introduced/passed to remove the government from releasing any weather information to the public). (tries to keep his tinfoil had hidden)

Whooops, I think my tinfoil hat was on too tight when I was writing this, I wasn't intending to say that I actually thought accuweather was behind it. it just felt like some similar reasoning might be behind it. And the first thing that crossed my mind was, 'I bet they're doing because they're afraid they'll get sued by someone for whatever reason.' I certainly could have phrased that less aggressively and made myself much clearer... sorry bout that. -edited mmd

Perhaps the best tips I know about hurricane preparation are: Drop your air conditioning to a very low temprature before a storm hits if you intend to stay, turn your circuit breakers off before you leave if you evacuate. and to have a plan of action ready before there is even a hint of a storm brewing. Living in Palm Harbor, my goal is to be comfortable for 72 hours without power, and able to go a week without hating life if power remains out. After that, I'm leaving.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center