Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Sep 14 2004 12:34 AM
Re: Hurricane Elena, 1985

We lived in Gautier when Elena came and i was only 11 at the time. But i remember the event very well. My father was the local Kmart manager and so we stayed at the store instead of leaving town. Actually we did leave, the first time they said it was coming, but this time we didnt. My mother's strongest recollection is of Mike Reader sounding panicky when he was telling people about the approaching storm. It was frightening to me then (now I would be more interested in what was going on outside) and I remember hearing winds tear off part of the store roof. The damage ended up being minimal compared to some of the other shopping centers near ours. Our biggest fear was the mobile home park we lived in then. Needless to say many homes were destroyed when we went back to the park. Thankfully our worst damage was a gash torn in the front of the home. Of course our porch and shed were thrashed, but it could have been much worse. My brothers and I made plenty of discoveries in the days to come around our yard.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center