HurricaneJosh
(Registered User)
Wed Jan 04 2006 12:02 AM
Re: did New Orleans get hit by only Cat 1 force winds?

Interesting information. Re: the extreme damage you describe in Rigolets (almost all of 700 homes destroyed), was that from wind or water? I think there is unanimous agreement that Katrina was an extreme storm-surge event. The controversy seems to be around the wind speeds.

You're right, it was not completely accurate of me to say the eyewall missed New Orleans-- I should have qualified that by saying it missed the downtown area.

One question I would have is: Is that fire chief qualified to estimate wind speed? The HRD is known for being extremely conservative in their wind estimates-- but even the NHC only puts Katrina's winds at 110 kt at landfall in LA-- with the assumption being that those were the absolute maximum winds anywhere in LA and probably occurred further S. So 120-130 mph (approx. 105-115 kt) sustained in the New Orleans Metro region would be much higher than what NHC believes to be the case.

Either way, it is just amazing that winds weren't higher, given the landfalling presure of 920 mb!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center