Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Apr 26 2006 05:47 PM
Re: Australia - "Very Severe" Tropical Cyclone Monica

Maningrida airport weather station back online and reporting, as of about an hour or so ago.

The low that was all that remained of the remnants of Monica has moved back over land and is not expected to regenerate.

Jeff Masters blog posed the interesting question that we are all left wondering about now. Just how strong was Monica? In retrospect, I think I got a little overexcited by those CIMSS AODT estimates maxing out.

02B (Mala) predicted by JTWC (warning #5) to curve NEward towards land and not gain much in strength.

Question on windspeed conversions. Is 12% the correct conversion factor for going from 10-minute windspeeds to 1-minute windspeeds? It appeared that wind gusts are the same for both (3-second gusts).

This is the first time I have looked at conversions to km/h and also the rating of hurricanes by max gusts. It was a little strange. Those scary numbers boiled down to something more familiar: i.e, 350km/h gusts equating to 217mph gusts, equating to SSHS strong Cat 3 -- 130mph sust winds, makes the pressure of 915mbar within a reasonable range. Of course during this same time NRL rated the storm quite differently.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center