Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Apr 27 2006 05:48 AM
Re: Wind speed conversion

No actually I didn't go to the AOML website, but probably should have. I was fishing around for something to use to do the conversion, just to try to get to a SSHS category, and I did find some info on JTWC vs JMA windspeed conversions. I found the 12% to be more common but also saw 15% mentioned as well.

I had found that 2nd link you mentioned but I had noticed it only went up to 30mph and I was looking for much higher windspeeds.

I didn't have that third link, and have bookmarked it -- thanks!

It was just real interesting to see that the AU wind gust / barometric pressure relationship was pretty consistent with our idea of a high end Cat 3, but that at the same time, both JTWC and NRL were seeing a much stronger storm both in terms of sustained windspeed and pressure.

Margie

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center