Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Apr 27 2006 01:22 PM
Re: Is Mala A Cyclone?

This morning, officially, yes.

JTWC warning #7 has sust winds 70kts and steadily brings it up to a weak Cat 4 in 48 hours. NRL also labeled 70kts. Looks like convection is starting to wrap around the center on the microwave pass, and it appears to now be in an area of low shear, after the last couple days. Good outflow on the west -- can someone explain why the outflow is so lopsided? I am seeing a little outflow to the SE (closer in) but none to the NE. I can see something is enhancing it on the west and north, and it looks like a ridge (dry clear air), but I still don't know enough about troughs and ridges to get it.

91S not looking so shabby either.

I don't get it...the strengthening in warning #7, which was surprising to begin with, has been replaced in #8 with a very moderate forecast increase in intensity over the next 48 hours (from the existing 80kts, to 90kts). However, this, just as Mala is starting to look like the core is coming together. Most of the sat images except IR are old, so it'll be interesting to see how things shape up over the next 12 hours.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center