Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat May 13 2006 02:16 AM
Re: Typhoon Chanchu aka Tropical Storm Caloy

I have always had the same question as to why the Philippines changes names of storms and the only answer I have found is "tropical depressions that enter or form in the Philippines area of responsibility are assigned a name by PAGASA (Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration - www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph). This can often result in the same storm having two names".

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) uses its own naming scheme for tropical cyclones within its area of responsibility. Lists are recycled every four years.

If anyone know the answer as to why PAGASA changes the names of storms I sure would appreciate you taking the time to answer our question.

As for the storm, I live on Manila Bay, and do not have a handheld device that tracks wind speed, but can tell you it is WINDY! Palms are almost horizontal!

I have experienced many tropical storms in metro manila and it is just that...a tropical storm. Signal one and signal two from my experiences here, are just a windy rainy storm.

Hold onto your hats!

Barbiemanila

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center