HanKFranK
(User)
Mon May 15 2006 07:35 PM
lesser storm

not nearly as alarming today. the track finally shifted east from HK, so the worst conditions won't affect them on that course. mature hurricanes don't usually do that ET intensification thing. with the winds weakening those huge swells that are likely to accompany the storm won't be quite as bad... may generate a surge a little higher than the category suggests at landfall but probably not by much.
the ssts just offshore are good for sustaining a hurricane, though. generally 26-28C. it'll probably maintain hurricane strength on the way in unless the shear profile goes to hell.
mountains in HK, huh? thought i remembered seeing stuff like that on shots of the cityscape... just seems so foreign to an east coast guy like me who is used to a broad coastal plain. probably makes surge fatalities a thing for boneheads without simple self-preservation skills. i can't see the one-party chinese government allowing people to willfully stay for that anyhow. nope, new orleans is not likely over there.
HF 2035z15may

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center