Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon May 15 2006 08:54 PM
Re: Typhoon Chanchu bombing

Yeah. It's actually been quite boring whenever there's a typhoon or super-typhoon. Sometimes seasonal heavy rainstorms do more damages. There's virtually no structure that can't withstand even a tornado in Hong Kong (maybe people paying too much for houses here can at least say they live in a fortress). And to give you an idea, people don't live in sampan or village huts and stuff like that. The airport and subway here are state-of-the-art, won plenty of world architectural awards for their hi-tech design etc. Hong Kong has very sophisticated flood channel system. I think Discovery should do a program on flood prevention system (maybe they have?? I don't know *shrug). It's so modern and well-prepared for stuff like typhoons it's almost sick. Afterall, they have been directly struck by tens (and indirectly hit by hundreds) of typhoons over the past few decades. But yes I do think this one can break a few more trees and damage some of the thousands of Mercedes Benzes and BMWs here this time. And I'm sure people will cry for a day or two lost in punting stocks and trading futures.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center