Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue May 16 2006 04:19 AM
Re: Typhoon Chanchu bombing

I found the Discovery TV show people were making references to. It's "Super Typhoon," episode 3 of Discovery Channel's "Perfect Disaster". After watching it, my confidence in Hong Kong's ability to deal with serious typhoons went up even higher. I had no idea we have a huge flood channel system under the city! So that's where all the water goes... I remember watching the rain last year pour for two days straight and not seeing more than a puddle. I was dumbfounded by it (I grew up in technologically primitive towns of the US).

I also was pleased to see the program talk about the comprehensive "Slope Registration" program. Though, it has taken me a while to get used to the notion of numbering all the slopes in the territory (Help, I've tilted my toast at a 45% angle! Does it need to be restablized??)

One issue that the program didn't talk about was the power system. I suddenly remembered we don't have power lines here...so I suppose that's why the lights don't flicker everytime a wind picks up. So much for those fun childhood days of lighting up candles all around the house. But now I am really curious what exactly it would take to have a large power outage in HK?

BTW, thanks for pointing out how our inflated housing prices can be somewhat justified with the sturdy construction. That helps me rationalize my outrageous rent. Frankly, living in HK has made me believe that the benefits of hi-tech urban living far outweigh those of suburbia. Mitigating the effects of natural disasters is just one of many benefits.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center