Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat May 27 2006 03:05 PM
Re: poking along

And...all is well in the hurricane forecasting world (no, I'm not going to explain that one).

Now, Ed, just indulge me, will ya?

Last year I went online in July to try to find information for my brother about Dennis, and ended up here, at CFHC. Never did I think that the rest of 2005 would be the "long strange trip" that it was.

Now, I'm here deliberately, happily, on my own, having (hopefully) learned a lot, and even though I'm still dealing with the aftermath of Katrina on my family and friends, being here, right at the start of a hurricane season, for the very first time, feels right. I'm still very unsure of my place in this new world, not being a met, but I'm on board, anyway!

Update -- the NRL designation has switched to NONAME. Not sure when that occured. It looks like convection tried to wrap around the west, then it was sheared away. But perhaps we will have the first named storm of the eastpac season, not too far away. A very recent quikscat (1707Z) shows some surface wind vectors that qualify, in a fairly well-defined LLC. However the descending scan shows much weaker surface winds.

Could someone with met experience explain the difference in the ascending and descending quikscat. I often see differences between the two views; is this due to the viewing angle?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center