Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Fri Jul 11 2003 12:14 AM
Re: Claudette - Where will she go?

Decided to stick with this thread for an update. Last night I began to waiver on my earlier thoughts that Claudette would not strike the Yucatan, but knowing that your first forecast is usually your best forecast, I've admonished myself throughout the day for the weak moment of indecision I believe that Claudette will pass through the Yucatan Channel without the center touching land...and I use the term 'center' carefully. Last night I think that I may have used the term 'eye' when I meant to say 'center' and I was properly corrected for that mistake as well (too many long hours). I guess that the old adage still is true, i.e., "its not an eye until you can see the sky".

At 10/23Z I placed the exposed center at 19.1N 84.6W and I'd be surprised if the winds were any stronger than 50kts (although they were certainly stronger than that earlier today). I'm sure that the central pressure has increased considerably as well, perhaps up to 1006mb, but a recon will be giving us an update on that shortly. Claudette was moving to the northwest at about 14mph as stated in the latest Public Advisory from NHC.

I feel that Claudette will regenerate again and by the time that she gets to somewhere between 24N and 25N she'll be a hurricane...moving north...slowly.

Many of you have shared some of your favorite links on the Main Page, and great links they are. Here is one that I like to use:

http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_h24_00.gif

http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_h48_00.gif

Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center